• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

heart rates - do you believe???

kathmac

Reaction score
My midwife told me that a heart rate of 120-140 was considered to be a boy and 140-160 was a girl. Well the first time I got the heart rate measured it was 138 so she reckoned a boy and the second time it was 128 so she said definently a boy.

Well I had to get an amnio done due to the bloods and when I got the all clear I asked for the sex and it is a ....GIRL so that kind of blows the heart rate predictor out the window for me!!!

Any one else had any experiences with this?

No, i don't have any experience of it. But i don't really believe it. I thought it was one of those things thats just a bit of fun to guess the sex. I didn't think the midwife would base anything on it :think:

My midwife said in my last pregnancy i was def having a boy due to the heart rate...and had a girl so i dont pay any attention to it personally. lol

a couple of scientific studies recently have proven that it's all b*ll*cks. BUT there are physiological differences between the male and female circulatory system and girls' hearts do beat faster than boys' - once they're born and have grown a bit! So that's where the myth comes from. The average male adult heart rate will be around 10bpm (I think) lower than the average female adult - in all the heart rate training guides, the tables give different zones for men and women, and if you use a heart rate monitor whilst training, you need to input gender.

But whilst they're still in the womb, it's a load of rubbish. The heart rate is more likely to reflect the mother's own heart rate and her diet than predict gender. Also, the heart rate tends to slow down during pregnancy - so it might start out at 170-180, and end up closer to 130 or so. That doesn't mean that it's a transsexual!

*LOL* I wouldn't base anything on it. I remember during the month I was in hospital with high bp before Naomi was born, I had to have the doppler every day. Anyway one particularly young midwife came in and listened on the doppler. She smiled and said, "ooooh it's a girl, it's really fast - girls sound like a little train, boys sound like a horse galloping."
The next day, another (much older) midwife was doing the same thing. I mentioned the previous girl's comments about heatbeats and gender. She was a lot more brisk and said, "Gosh! some people talk a lot of bullshit don't they?"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I DID have a girl though...

Sue

Nah.. thats why I never rely on those myths.. because they can be so wrong.. I always go by what they see on the screen at 20 week scan.. if theres a penis, its a boy.. no penis, a girl. :?

It's fun predicting though! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back