• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

he hates his cot, moses basket, everywhere except my arms!

Sassyminx

Reaction score
finley is 6wks tomorrow and he just refuses to sleep anywhere other than my arms, hes sharing our bed on a night and its doin OH's head in :(

his daily routine seems to be get up about 9, have a feed and mess about with it for 2hrs or so, never drinks a bottle straight off, catnaps throughout the day but nothing more than an hour or so.
Every time i put him down either in his moses basket, car seat or under his babygym he wakes up within 10mins and cries.
On a night he seems to cluster feed from 8-12 and has started going to sleep between 12-1am but sleeping until 5am, but he wont go in his cot or moses basket, just screams and screams.
I dont mind him sleeping in our bed, but i know itll cause problems and he needs to learn to settle himself

anyone give me any advice? is he really that clever that he knows that ill pick him up and comfort him or what?

ive got another 2 kids too so really cant hold him all day long as i have a lot to do!

Harrison used to do this and it got to the point where he'd wake up, cry and as soon as i'd pick him up he'd be ok, we just persevered with him and let him cry but go in an see him every 5 mins and eventually he realised that we weren't gonna pick him up

i could do that but lee cant leave him to cry, it annoys the hell out of him when he is screaming, i just want to be able to put him down in his moses basket and for him to even just lie there for 10mins instead of screaming the place down.

Feel really guilty for cuddling him all the time even though i know he needs cuddles i just wish he wouldnt be so clingy as its impossible to do anything, we cant even eat our tea together anymore as one of us has to hold him while the other one wolfs it down :(

Have you tried swaddling him? I never really did it with Brody but I know it's really helped some people on here.

i did try it a few weeks ago and it seemed to work but now hes such a little wriggler he seems to work himself free, ill have to give it another go and see if that works, i guess if he feels like he is being held it might settle him a bit more,

do you think he is too young to start putting in a bedtime routine? just seems pretty pointless to me when he wont stay in either his cot or moses basket, id be happy to bath him and leave him downstairs in his moses basket til it was bedtime tbh but really cant see it working

weve been out in the car today and he has been asleep for nearly 2hrs which is great, hes in his snowsuit though all wrapped up which seems to help

Hiya sassy,

Have you treid laying him in a different position, e.g on his side or his tummy?

We had problems with olivia settling in her moses basket and couldn't understand why?

We end up putting her frilley footmuff out of her pram into the moses basket with her at night so she recognised the smell, it seemed to work a little but she was never great at settling!

When we put her in her cot she was the same wouldn't settle just cried all the time, so one night i layed her on her tummy and she went out like a light and she has been great ever since! In her pram she would never settle on her back and i didnt like her to lay on her tummy in her pram so she used to lay on her side!

She always goes down on her tummy now, she sometimes shuffles onto her side!

Im not sure if it will work with Finley but its worth a try!

Hope it gets better for you soon!

i sympathise sassy, luke will settle grand in the day in his rocker chair but in the moses basket at night he has to be absolutly sound asleep before we put him down and it makes it a very long night!! else he screams and screams. i spoke to the health visitor today and she suggested swaddling and like princess puddles says i might just have to let him cry which im not good at, every minute when hes crying seems like hours.

hope it works for you also. :hug:

well last night i waited til he was fast asleep and swaddled him, then put him in the cot and he slept there from 11.30 til 3.30, but when he had his milk i fell asleep so he stayed in our bed the rest of the night

im gunna have to make more of an effort to stay awake and put him back in his cot

We had to swaddle Elliott for months! He loved it! Eventually he was swaddled in cot sheets as he got too big for the little blanket I used first off. Have you thought about a ring sling for during the day? Since he's small and light it won't be too heavy for you but you'll have your hands free.

+++

Rosebay said:
We had to swaddle Elliott for months! He loved it! Eventually he was swaddled in cot sheets as he got too big for the little blanket I used first off. Have you thought about a ring sling for during the day? Since he's small and light it won't be too heavy for you but you'll have your hands free.

+++

hes quite heavy and ive got a really bad back so couldnt really use a sling, gonna get one of them bouncer chairs see if he likes that, as he aint as bad if he is in his car seat

gonna try the swaddling again and see how he settles, hopefully itll work :cheer:

i have to say the swaddling has worked wonders for luke he settles quicker and and stays settled for longer, so we are happy all round. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

hows it going for you sassy? :pray:

last night he didnt go to sleep til 1.40am and woke every 2hours, which he has never done since being born :(

HV been out today to weigh him, she said weve gotta leave him to cry and settle himself, and said they dont recommend swaddling but if it works then thats fine

gonna have to persevere i think, i just need to be able to do things, she said he must have us wrapped round his little finger lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back