He decided he doesnt like food anymore

Tillytots

Reaction score
Aghhhhhhhhhh

Ive been having a nightmare with James and weaning. Everything was going so well, he enjoyed all the homemade food I made him and then all of a sudden he stopped eating. Point blank refused to even open his mouth :shock: he had been good for about 3 weeks then stopped for a week. The only way he would open his mouth was if I gave him the spoon and that was after a week of refusing. He ate Cow & Gate cereal for 3 days then refused again and has ever since and thats about another week now.

He seems to open his mouth a bit sometimes if I give him the spoon but he still isnt that bothered by food now. I even tried chocolate pudding and he turned his head away :?

Is this normal? What should I do? Its so dishearetening throwing out so much food and he is waking so much now in the night for feeds cos he is starving marvin!!!

Is he teething again? I have heard others say that their LOs go off their food when they are. I would up his milk if you can and just keep trying - but maybe with smaller portions so you aren't wasting so much.

I'd give him the spoon and let him get messy and have some fun with it all. Its all about taste, texture, getting it on his hands, playing with it all. I find it so much easier to let baby have more control and play an active part in weaning and feeding themselves over trying to feed them. Give him a bit of help with the spoon if need be but let him figure it out.

Galen has been using his spoon himself since day one of weaning about 5 days ago. We are doing BLW and although he had baby rice twice in the first two days he now has veggie sticks and banana and feeds himself. Ok so more ends up squished and uneaten but he has the right idea so far. Going to try something new in the next couple of days. If he has something mushy (yogurt or stewed fruit) I'll give him the spoon and let him feed himself. Just help if he needs it.

Maybe try him on finger foods? (Sorry I don't have much experience yet).

My LO loves feeding herself - maybe James would like that too? Our favourites at the moment are broccoli (not overcooked!) and banana. She also enjoyed mango today even though she didn't managed to chew much.

Good luck :hug:

Finlay has been really odd with his food recently and he's been teething. We've had 3 teeth in 9 days and one more on the way so it could be that.

Hope he starts being interesed in food again.

PS Glad to see you back. Hope you are well :D

My Lo was weaned after breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months, well, I say weaned, SHE decided that she would not be fed by mummy or daddy at all- not once has she volentarily opened her mouth for either one of us if it was food we were offering. I gave up trying in the first week and went to BLW so she now feeds herself a wide range of stuff- broccoli is the stand out hit at the moment but she will also eat youghurt if she has the spoon herself. I would advise trying a range of finger foods other than that just wait it out. The more stressed you get, the more he will pick up on it and food will become a bigger and bigger issue. He'll probably start eating again as suddenly as he stopped and fwiw I'm also guessing pegs could be to blame! In the mean time have some :hug: I know where you are coming from regarding the waking up at night!

I started weaning ky maybe a bit too early at 5months, and he totally went off it. i came to the decision he wasnt ready. went back to just milk for just over a week, then slowly started again at 6months 5days and it was a great success. maybe james will be the same? :think:

Ryan went off food when he was teething and was barely eating anything, but i think giving him finger foods is a good idea if he will have them and try a bit of baby led weaning? Hope he starts eating soon xx :hug:

lil miss went off food when she decided she wanted to do it herself. She'd refuse to be spoon fed and smack the spoon out of my hand...everything... So I just started chucking soft food on her tray and let her get on with it... soft peas, potatoes, carrot, soft cheese, bread...soft little cubes of everything, and she took to it really well... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back