Having a homebirth??

i'm inclined to tell my midwife i might decide on a homebirth last minute. The only thing stopping me is my other two children. If it was daytime and my oldest was at school it would be ok. but my baby is only going to be 18 months and i dont have anyone who could take him at any time ......

i'm inclined to tell my midwife i might decide on a homebirth last minute. The only thing stopping me is my other two children. If it was daytime and my oldest was at school it would be ok. but my baby is only going to be 18 months and i dont have anyone who could take him at any time ......

would that not be the same for a hospital birth though? Some people chose to have their children present at a home birth. If it happens at night, theyd be sleeping anyway.

Princess thanks. My midwife did say she'd want a homebirth too. I like that because I've chosen it, or said it's highly likely, that I get the same care right through my pregnancy and afterward. With dd I mostly saw whoever. I'm still a little nervous about it. My midwives at DDs birth were fabulous but the hospital experience after was not. One of my pros is that I'd be guaranteed my pool, whereas in the hospital they only have 2. If I was behind a FTM with my labour speed, Id not stand a chance on having a water birth.

Gbliz I read something the other day about a woman who had her 3 year old in with her. I found it really interesting. She cut the cord and everything. She was so chilled and interested. I would maybe like dd to be there if she wanted to. It would take lots of explaining, teaching etc and she could go to in mil in a minute if needs be. OH is having none of it though lol xx

Princess thanks. My midwife did say she'd want a homebirth too. I like that because I've chosen it, or said it's highly likely, that I get the same care right through my pregnancy and afterward. With dd I mostly saw whoever. I'm still a little nervous about it. My midwives at DDs birth were fabulous but the hospital experience after was not. One of my pros is that I'd be guaranteed my pool, whereas in the hospital they only have 2. If I was behind a FTM with my labour speed, Id not stand a chance on having a water birth.

Gbliz I read something the other day about a woman who had her 3 year old in with her. I found it really interesting. She cut the cord and everything. She was so chilled and interested. I would maybe like dd to be there if she wanted to. It would take lots of explaining, teaching etc and she could go to in mil in a minute if needs be. OH is having none of it though lol xx

It could also teach her important lessons about the normality of childbirth and that it is nothing to fear :)

It makes my blood boil that media and scare stories make home birth such a rare occurrence these days. For women who have had a normal delivery previously, home birth is actually a SAFER option than a hospital delivery, so far as the evidence tells us.
Most of our grandparents/great grandparents had children at home without issue. Don't get me wrong there are reasons why some women absolutely should be in hospital for delivery (circumstances that wouldn't have even occurred years ago, like type1 diabetics for example) but society has normalised hospital birth over home birth for low risk deliveries. Its sad.

It could also teach her important lessons about the normality of childbirth and that it is nothing to fear :)

Nice to hear someone who doesn't think it's weird. And wrong tbh.

My mother in law said social service wouldn't like it. I was like what lol? Who's calling social services over child birth? Dd is 4 and already knows where the baby comes out and how because she's constantly like what why how who. I wasn't into the whole it's magic thing xx

I Am the same as you would like a boy but will be happy either way as long as they are healthy xx

Nice to hear someone who doesn't think it's weird. And wrong tbh.

My mother in law said social service wouldn't like it. I was like what lol? Who's calling social services over child birth? Dd is 4 and already knows where the baby comes out and how because she's constantly like what why how who. I wasn't into the whole it's magic thing xx

Good lord, as if social services are going to have any input into that :oooo: seriously.

I know but it just shows you peoples attitudes and thinking towards childbirth though. It's sad. Xx

Last edited:
I know but it just shows you peoples attitudes and thinking towards childbirth though. It's sad. Xx

Really very sad indeed. However, there are a growing number of midwives who are on a mission to change that, and a growing number of women to help support it. Fingers crossed, we can bring back normality to childbirth x

I had a homebirth with my second - it was planned but happened so quick there was no way I would of made it to hospital anyway!
I’ll bump my birth story up for you to have a read x

my homebirth story from march 2008 is probably still on this forum !

She has stated very firmly she does not want it to happen at home with her there. She has quite a few anxiety issues especially relating to my wellbeing as she has had a difficult start seeing me go through psychologically abusive situation and suffering from complex PTSD, so she really worries about me and is hypervigilant about every expression on my face let alone if i was actually in pain. It would really not be a good idea!

this thread has made me reconsider actually booking for a homebirth. I saw a midwife today and told her i would like to keep my options open. But because i'm booked for a hospital out of area (even though actually closer to me) she said i cant. I would have to choose either book and prepare for a homebirth (and any probs i would go to the hospital i DONT want) , or book and go to the hospital i have chosen. I pushed it and she said she would 'see what she can do'. Outcome, the homebirth team dont really see a problem with it. (i got a call from them already) she was really nice and said "even the thought of getting into the car might decide it for you" Exactly! So I hope to keep both options in place. Lets face it, I would need child care either way. so the only issue is whether i want access to more painrelieving drugs. My last labour was horrific (although medically fine) but then, the whole pregnancy was nothing but pain all through, while this one isnt. I'm not keen on finding out how i might react to any pain relief other than gas and air though anyway so they might be ruled out anyway taking me back to what's the advantage of hospital? I react badly to dental anaesthetic injections, one tramadol taken after an op had me gibbering in a corner, i dont think i'm safe on medication!!

I'm getting a bit of flack from oh's fam (not in a nasty way) but trying to convince me to go to hospital as it's safer and in case anything goes wrong...I don't know where to start explaining how much better it would be at home! I've tried reeling off statistics etc but they just go 'yeaaaah....' and change the subject.
That being said they are very very supportive and have still said they'll be there which is the main thing!

My mum and I hardly talk but she has said she wants to be there, she is a midwife and said home births are much safer anyway...

I may get a bit of flack for this, but is everyone having a midwife? I've decided to go without as it just felt right for me :/ I'm still having scans etc but I've refused any kind of midwife care throughout.. I really REALLY wanted to freebirth at home but I'm still thinking on the day I may lose nerve and call the hospital! I haven't mentioned this to his parents either as I'm sure they'll go loopy!

i would definitely have a midwife either way. When i had my homebirth , and my midwife unit birth, i really relied on them telling me that everything was ok, that things WERE progressing, and that i could do it etc. It was really reassuring. But if you dont feel you want that, fair enough.

Just wanted to say that I had my homebirth visit from my midwife yesterday. It was really positive, our midwife is so positive and completely on the same wavelength. She talked through all the various points on the checklist, explained in what circumstances we'd need to transfer, but gave loads of tips about various things like aromatherapy blends, how to get slow labour to pick up again, and how to get around some of the hospital's red tape! It was all a great experience and really brought home that this will happen soon :)

Jamie - I know it's obviously your decision, but I wouldn't want to be completely without a midwife. At the end of the day they are trained in looking after you and baby, and I wouldn't want to be in a situation that could be easily dealt with by them but I had no experience of. I have requested that the midwives who attend me stay as unobtrusive as possible, with no internal examinations unless absolutely necessary for example, and that has been absolutely fine. Perhaps you could do something similar?

Just wanted to say that I had my homebirth visit from my midwife yesterday. It was really positive, our midwife is so positive and completely on the same wavelength. She talked through all the various points on the checklist, explained in what circumstances we'd need to transfer, but gave loads of tips about various things like aromatherapy blends, how to get slow labour to pick up again, and how to get around some of the hospital's red tape! It was all a great experience and really brought home that this will happen soon :)

Jamie - I know it's obviously your decision, but I wouldn't want to be completely without a midwife. At the end of the day they are trained in looking after you and baby, and I wouldn't want to be in a situation that could be easily dealt with by them but I had no experience of. I have requested that the midwives who attend me stay as unobtrusive as possible, with no internal examinations unless absolutely necessary for example, and that has been absolutely fine. Perhaps you could do something similar?

I have been speaking with a doula..she isn't birth registered but she has attended many births and holds seminars..
I may register and have one on the day but I just don't want all the faff in between

I have been speaking with a doula..she isn't birth registered but she has attended many births and holds seminars..
I may register and have one on the day but I just don't want all the faff in between

hey, as long as it was someone who knows what they're doing, I'd be fine with that! My last labour was a bit stop start and the midwife gave a me a bit of a sweep half way through to get things going again rather than risk it failing to progress. Thats the kind of expertise i would like to have on hand.

Not sure what it's like in your area but around here there hasn't been any faff :) just normal appointments to check heartbeat etc, and then the visit to go over my birth plan and leave a birth bag for the big day. We are in a very pro home birth area, not once have I had to justify or ask for anything - I literally said I'd like a home birth at my booking appointment and that was it:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back