has anyone claimed incapacity benefit before?

clairescunny55

Reaction score
ive been told i can claim it as i have been signed off work due to my back problems. anyone know how much it is? any information is greatly appreciated :hug:

I couldn't claim if I was already claimimg sick pay but when I did get awarded it last year it was about £75.10 ish p/w. It goes up after 6m/1y and I get about £90 p/w now I think. You may be asked to go to a medical examination. I did and I have had to redo my form as been on it a year and therefore may have to go again. You also have a long form to fill out too.

You can initially phone the benefits enquiry line on:
Helpline (voice): 0800 882200
Helpline (text): 0800 243355
Telephone: 8.30am - 6.30pm, Monday - Friday; 9am - 1pm, Saturday
and they will take brief details to initialise you claim and send you a claim form.

Usually for the first part of the claim (can't remember how many weeks) you will be required to send in doctors certificates (sicknotes) to prove your sickness. They will write to you when you don't need to send them anymore.

Hope this helps,

Sarah xxx

thats a great help thanks, can i just ask, what is the medical examination like?

I wouldn't know what a physical exam would consist of as I have to have more of an interview as I suffer from anxiety/depression and panic attacks so i have to describe what my condition entails and how it impacts on my day to day life. The stress of the interview usually sets off my anxiety and panic attacks so I'm a bit of a freak before I even get into the doctors room :rotfl:

I would guess they would see how affected your movement is by moving your arms/legs/hips while you're laying on the bed and stuff like that. They also get a report from your gp before hand.

Hope this helps

Sarah xxx

I have had to claim it and never had a medical exam, this was because my GP wrote me a supporting letter stating categorically that I was unfit to work. Perhaps speak to your GP and they may do the same.

I did have to go to the jobcentre though for a work focused interview, if you fail to attend you don't get the benefit. the interview was a complete waste of time tbh I was asked what my intentions re work were and that was it.

Speaking to someone lately they had a medical and was asked loads of questions and then asked to lots of stupid tasks like stand on one leg, bend and touch the floor, get things out of a washing machine, what time do you wake up, do you do the washing up/load the washing machine?
Think she said you have to get a score of 15 or 20 to claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back