Hardest thing about BFing?

SaraLouise

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

When I first got pregnant with little man I was completely dead set against Bfing, didnt want to and that was that.

As the weeks went on, I decided that actually I would like to do Combi feeding because I really wanted to bonding that Bfing bought, as well as given bubba the best start, and thought combi would be good so OH could help out with feeds.

Now I'm nearing V-day and have pretty much decided that I want to exclusively BF for the first few weeks at least. OH isnt too happy as he thinks he wont get the good bonding with little man, but I have said that he can still get him up for feeds and help with winding and stuff.

Anyway.. Just out of curiosity what did you find most difficult about exclusive breastfeeding?

I think for me its going to be lack of sleep, I can get to be a grumpypants if I dont get a good amount of sleep, so hoping that this changes!

Sore boobies for two weeks, even then I loved it just needed the right latch position! That's it for me! I love EBF. X

For me the hardest thing has been trying to be relaxed about not knowing how much milk they are getting and I'm constantly worrying about whether he is getting enough. They say as long as they are getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies and gaining weight then they are getting enough but I've got a fussy feeder that screams at my breast and only feeds for 5-10 mins max so that makes me worry constantly!

Today my little man has hit a growth spurt and has quite literally been on my boob since 9am this morning he hasn't slept he is tired and cranky and i feel like a milk machine. But apparently it only lasts a day or two and then gets better so not going to give up. Lack ic sleep is definitely the hardest bit for me. But i know it will all be worth it in the end.

I love EBF!! For me I think I get more sleep, I'm not up in the night making and warming bottles. I pop him on then he's done and we're both asleep again!
It's free! Have you seen how much formula costs??? I also love knowing that my lo is getting food tailored to his every need! I also lose a tonne of weight very quickly with EBF.

Now the cons - sore nips to start with, cluster feeding and constant breast pads! xx

Definitely cracked nips to start with and also getting the latch right can be so hard. I've bf both of my girls :)

I maintain if you can get through the first 10 days and keep reminding yourself to persevere you will have pretty much cracked it.

tapatalking

Looks like I may have to definitely invest in some nipple cream and nipple soothers then!

I'm quite looking forward to the first feed especially, I hope he takes to it straight away and I dont have any problems with supply!

Looks like I may have to definitely invest in some nipple cream and nipple soothers then!

I'm quite looking forward to the first feed especially, I hope he takes to it straight away and I dont have any problems with supply!

Just be aware that your in a lot of cases your boob doesn't turn on like a tap once baby is here, it can take a few days for you milk to come in. Mean time baby will have colostrum - which will be fine. There a lots of things you can do to stimulate supply, the hospital will help you out x

I cant wait to BF :) :)
I just hope he latches on and i can bare the sore nips! xx

You may not get them chick but have the nipple cream to hand just in case. In fact I used it leading up to baby arriving and it made a difference in comparison to the first time round!xx

For me the hardest thing has been trying to be relaxed about not knowing how much milk they are getting and I'm constantly worrying about whether he is getting enough. They say as long as they are getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies and gaining weight then they are getting enough but I've got a fussy feeder that screams at my breast and only feeds for 5-10 mins max so that makes me worry constantly!

AGREED! I have a panic at least once a week about this!

You may not get them chick but have the nipple cream to hand just in case. In fact I used it leading up to baby arriving and it made a difference in comparison to the first time round!xx

Oh okay, that's a good idea :)

You may he lucky like me amd not have sore nipples! Mines have been fine :) I would say prepare yourself that breastfeeding probaably wont come as naturally as you expect. Up until baba was 10 days old I was expressing and topping up with formula as I couldnt get baby to latch properly and when she did it was for 2 sucks then she let go. Then suddenly on day 10 we cracked it and I have been exclisivly BF ever since.......I was sooooo close to giving up a few times but I am so glad I persevered :) good luck chick! X

The perseverance in the early days was the toughest part for me. It took C eight weeks to latch but that was down to Tounge tie. But the perseverance is so worth it! Xx

The hardest thing for me was the pain.

Midnight day 4 I was in tears and expressing milk as I was so desperate. I got a lot of support at the breastfeeding clinic but they thought the latch was fine. it was 3 weeks before it became bearable and 3 months before it was completely pain free. I'm am so glad I didn't give up though (was so close so many times). Basically for some women it does hurt and takes time for the nipples to toughen up. But it does get better. I'm hoping this time I'll find it easier just knowing that there is light at the end...

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Awh, I'm so nervous about it. I really hope I can do it!

Don't be nervous, it's very enjoyable once you get going, for mummy and baby xx

Dont be nervous.......after a wee while it will come as second nature. Just remember at the beginning its both you and baby thats learning a new skill not just you. God luck xx

Oh hun you will be fine, alongside bring C into this world BFing is one of my biggest achievements mainly due to the shakey start.

Get yourself familiarised with the BFing support in your area and ask for help if you feel you need it xx

Awh, I'm so nervous about it. I really hope I can do it!

I think it's good to know how difficult it can be. Had I known it might have made me feel better. I just thought its such a natural thing that I should have been a pro!

For some people it does come easy and pain free. I hope you are one of them xxx

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member