Had the partner's antenatal class last night

moss

Reaction score
It was pretty good! I didn't really learn anything, but I got to see photos of the maternity ward (that's their replacement to having a tour) and I am definitely convinced I want a homebirth! I was shocked to hear that it is still standard for midwives in Dundee to cut and clamp the cord immediately (within seconds even) and I found out that there is one inflatable pool for all of Ninewells but very few staff trained on how to use it- so it just stays deflated in some closet usually. I'm surprised because Ninewells is medically very well regarded with a lot of advances happening from here... The nursing side just doesn't live up, unfortunately.

As everyone else has said, it was incredibly hot. There were three fans but I still felt sick. I will be going back, though, for the other two.

Oh the class made me realise that the hip and pelvis problems I have been having relating to SPD and that have been going on pretty much my whole life are most likely due to the fact I was breech. That hadn't occurred to me before and I thought it was really interesting!

moss said:
I was shocked to hear that it is still standard for midwives in Dundee to cut and clamp the cord immediately (within seconds even)

I think it is pretty much everywhere tbh. Unless you specify you want it left alone.

You can ask they let the cord stop pulsing before clamping and cutting. Include it in your birth plan and be sure to state it clearly (or have your OH do so) when LO is due to arrive and again at actual birth. They should follow your wishes provided there is not a medical emergency requiring them to clamp and cut asap.

FWIW it was standard practice for my MW's at my homebirth to wait for cord to stop pulsing before clamping. Neither of them believed in clamping asap after a baby was born unless there were medical grounds or the mother requested it. Mind you, most homebirths are much more relaxed and there is no rush for that kind of thing as a rule. Its much more relaxed IMHO.

Have you spoken to your MW yet about a homebirth? From what I've read in Scotland it can be harder getting a homebirth due to one thing or another. I'd start looking into it as soon as you can.

One good thing with my LO's cord being left (and I do believe letting it stop pulsing was wahy) was that it dropped off the morning of the third day :) IIRC it takes a week or so normally. It was all healed beautifully and clean.

Glad your class was interesting :D Did your OH get a lot out of it too?

Oh i dont like the sound of that hospital stuff!!!

Dave thinks i'm over-reacting that i keep telling him to make sure they read my birth plan cos i'm scared they'll take one look, see i'm young and assume i havnt written one, so do what they want.

I'm glad your class was good though and you got stuff out of it. I do think they're worth going to, if only cos you get to find out spesific things about your area. FWIW my hospital doesnt do tours either, we got a DVD which wasnt helpful in showing the rooms, only in stressing visiting hours and security measures (at least they take them seriously)

I don't see the point of them cutting the cord immediately because they aren't in a rush in general here. We apparently stay in the delivery suite for about two hours following the birth before being transferred to the postnatal ward, and there is a midwife with you the entire time. That is plenty of time to leave the cord at least for a bit. I know midwives in other areas and they think it's strange that it is still standard here given all of the research (and common sense) about keeping it for at least a short time, if not until it stops pulsating completely... How long does that take, anyway?

moss said:
How long does that take, anyway?

I think it was a good 10 minutes, maybe a bit more, till it stopped and mine was cut. I was holding Galen the whole time while waiting for it to stop. He was laying on my tummy having skin on skin :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back