Growth Scans???

littleem

Reaction score
I am just curious because alot of people are having growth scans, what happens if they find out that the baby isnt growing properly?? What do they do???

as far as im aware, if the babys growth slows down they monitor it and get the baby out as soon as is reasonable..i guess depending on how much its slowed and other symptoms, but worst case scenario it might mean an early caesarean :?

littleem said:
I am just curious because alot of people are having growth scans, what happens if they find out that the baby isnt growing properly?? What do they do???

In my case they are monitoring me every fortnight. I have to go for scans, monitoring and to see the consultant.
I have been told different things though first it was because I didn't have enough fluid around the baby now the fluid is ok they have told me baby is too small because the placenta isn't working properly :roll:

I'm back there tomorrow for another afternoon of fun!

My friend was told her baby was small and they monitored her every week. Apparently there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the baby (although not enough to do a C section early) She went 10 days over due and baby was only 5lbs 9oz.

I guess it depends why the baby isn't growing at the expected rate?

tots hope said:
My friend was told her baby was small and they monitored her every week. Apparently there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the baby (although not enough to do a C section early) She went 10 days over due and baby was only 5lbs 9oz.

I guess it depends why the baby isn't growing at the expected rate?

Thats what they have told me although my consultant has said due to my natural frame and OH's frame I am hardly likely to have a big baby in any case.
I'm hoping i don't have to have a C section OH was only 5lb at birth and my DS was only 6lb 9ozs when I had him.

im hoping the same....i would really rather not have a c section. i think that must be if there are other complications too rather than just a small baby

theyve said the same to me its because im small etc ...

i dont mention the fact that my mum is smaller than me , but me and my sister were 8lb 9 and 9lb 8 !!!!

just wanted to jump in
my youngest was monitored from 32 weeks.
one week was a scan for blood flow to the placenta and the next week was a scan to measure his growth. i got to 38 weeks with growth slowing down and the last scan showed that he hadn't grown much at all between 36 and 38 weeks and i was induced that night.
baby was born quickly at 5lb 4oz. he was fine, but not sure why he was smaller.
i was diagnosed with IUGR (intautering growth restriction) so i presume i'll be monitored closely with this baby

Sorry I was lurking from tri 2!
I have been told i have to go for 2 extra growth scans because I am overweight, they are at 28 weeks and at 34 weeks, apparently it's because the midwife won't be able to feel as accuratley what size the baby is at.
We went for a gender scan at 22 weeks and the baby was measuring to his dates then.
I'm not overly worried about it, it means that I get to see LO again.
Has anyone else been offered growth scans because of their weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back