Growth scan scariness. Any positive stories?

HS1985

Reaction score
Our 1st growth scan today has scared us witless and they are talking about getting baby out at 34 weeks which sounds so early to me :( the baby is measuring at under the 5th percentile in leg growth and only approximating at 2lb at 28+2. They have found it's because the vessels to and from my placenta to the baby are restricted. I feel like I'm failing as a woman and a mum already! The head and brain showed normal measurements but that scares me more. I've had a harmony test which basically put paid to any worries about trisommies but how can one part be measuring normal and one part so small?! I feel so lost. We have to go back in 6 days for another check and then weekly from there. Any positive stories would be great about now. Thanks

I had growth scans the whole way through my pregnancy and in the end she stopping growing because the placenta wasn’t doing it’s job..... they induced me the day before I was due and she arrived on her due date weighing 6lb 9.5. It’s good that they are monitoring you as it means if they want to induce you early they can. Try not to worry it was positive for us and we have a beautiful baby girl and another baby on the way! I am just coming up to be measured for the first time!! X

the reason the head is normal size is because any goodness getting through gets prioritised to brain development. Its a good thing basically. It sounds like IUGR where the placenta starts failing so they keep the baby in as long as they can but there comes a point where they do better on the outside than in because they arent getting the goodness they need. I had a scare with this but my baby caught up a couple of growth scans later, however my blood flow wasnt restricted. They will probably give you steroids to mature the babies lungs so that he/she can do well even if delivered at 34 weeks.

btw , every story i have heard about IUGR babies is positive, they might be born small but catch up ....if this condition wasnt caught in time it would be a different story......

Thank you both so much for some reassurance. They really didn't help with explanations at the hospital. This is the reason I love this forum so much!x

no, when i went through it i got no information either and googled loads to fill myself in on protocol, likelt outcomes etc......... there is a facebook group IUGR support UK altho its not very active you might get some answers there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back