Group B Strep - sorry for another post!

lisaspoon

Reaction score
Hi Ladies...Sorry to post this subject again...

Just asking your advice and if anyone has been in a similar position..

I went into the surgery today to pick up my prescription for Iron Tablets and was handed one for Penicillin as well!?
Needless to say I was confused as I had only been told about the iron one!
Anyway, long and short of it, the swab they took at triage (at the end of october) showed up Group B strep that was sensitive to penicillin and a number of other antibiotics..so hence the prescription (although nice to be told as it had been sitting there a week!)

Anyway, I've read before that Group B strep can be passed onto newborns during delivery....
I'm presuming after I've finished my course of ABs I will be tested again to check if it has gone...

If it has I presume all is ok...but if its not....will my delivery be managed differently etc?

Anyone had any similar experiences?

thanks ladies xxxx

I think they willl give you a jab in labour to reduce the risk. Im not sure if you can get rid of it tbh its something you should ask your middy. xxx

It doesnt go away you have it for good im affraid. They give you antibiotics during delivery so you dont pass it onto bubs. I would ask your midwife about it hun.

will be seeing the midwife on 12th december,....so few weeks yet.....
so if it doesnt go away, why are they bothering me with antibiotics now?! :think:

It comes and goes hun. I had it years ago, and have had negative tests since.
They may give you IV antibiotics during delivery as a precaution. It will only affect bubs during vaginal delivery.
Most women carry it at some point in their lives,its symptomless and causes no problems to the woman. (mine was picked up during a routine smear test, they didnt bother with anti-bs as I wasnt pregnant, it went away on its own)
Its low risk that bubs will even be affected if it catches it during delivery.

Speak to yoru midwife hun for more info :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back