Granuloma/Silver nitrate help needed!

NickyB

Reaction score
Lucy's umbilical cord dropped off on day 5, it's always been a little bit weepy since - no-one mentioned this wasn't right! HV and doctors have seen it, so I didn't think anything of it :doh: . It didn't smell/look red/sore.

It got worse, a bit more weepy, you could see it on her nappy. A small pink bump appeared so we went to the GP. He said it was a small amount of granulated tissue, he used a stick of silver nitrate and said to go back in a few days if it was still the same.

Nothing changed, then the bump got a bit bigger and we returned on Monday. Half an hour before the appointment I went to changer nappy to find the lump had reduced significantly and had dropped a drop or two of blood. GP got the silver nitrate again, this time was different though! She cried while he did it, we came home and she's been grumpy since. Took hours to go to bed and her belly button is grey inside and out.

Does anyone have experience with silver nitrate burns, or know of anything that will help soothe her?

The GP was lovely but didn't explain very much, I've read some net journals since that suggest salt is as effective, and even alcohol wipes, so could I avoided this pain to her? I don't want to administer anything like that myself on only having read it on the net, and especially as we've now started this course of treatment.

Thanks for reading!! lol

I've used SN on a horrible warty thing on my finger (it didn't work for me) I had to use it daily and it made my finger quite sore. The thing is though, the umbilical cord is dead tissue anyway so she shouldn't be in pain from it.

Not helpful, I know.. sorry..... Just wanted to reply rather than read and run... :hug:

Thanks for replying :)

Ah, forgot to mention that the area around her belly button is burnt/grey :(.

i had silver nitrate used on my open wound , and i was allergic to it and it made my wound bigger ! but im afriad it did sting , but was over in seconds !

I really appreciate your replies. I feel a bit silly, it's become blatently obvious she's having a mega growth spurt (I'm certain it is) when I thought she wasn't feeling well. Bad timing made me think it was her tum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back