Going back to work?

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
Poppy is 10 months now, and I always said I would go back to work when she turns One.

I lost my job shortly BEFORE finding out I was pregnant, so spent my entire pregnancy not working. So it's been a while! I'm stuck for what to do though - I HATE the thought of going out to work and leaving Poppy with someone. I don't want to miss a second of her growing up. I would LOVE to be a full-time Mummy.
I know a lot of you will say 'Oh diddums, we all have to do it' but I've just come to the forum really for some advice/tips on how you cope?
I was considering getting an evening/weekend job, but then I would never see my OH! Speaking of OH, he has told me I don't have to go back to work, I can be a full-time Mummy and that he's happy to support us for as long as I want, which is great of him, but we can't survive on his wages alone, we have to claim benefits and I don't want to do that for too long.
The day I have to go back to work I will be a blubbering wreck! I'm hoping to do maybe two days a week in an office. I would rather work two full days than a few hours every day.

Oh god I don't really know what I'm getting at here, I'm just rambling, but perhaps some of you can tell me

*how you coped when you went back to work

*If you didn't go back to work, how do you cope financially?

*what do you do for a job?

Or any of you who haven't gone back to work yet, what are your plans?

Perhaps it'll put my mind at ease a bit! Thanks girls :)

Last edited:
I'm not much help as I'm a SAHM, like your OH mine said that we could manage on his wages, so I decided to stay at home with Brooke, and then when I was comfortable about going back to work, we decided to try for number 2! Not thinking id fall so quick!

I won't be going back to work unless things at home money wise gets desperate but when Charlie starts nursery il will start looking, I am looking forward to going back to work when that time comes, I've lost so much confidence since being off!

Is there nothing that you could do from home so you get the best of both worlds?

Xx

Im currently a SAHM burn I'm waiting to hear, back about a job.
We do manage fine on OHS wage but if we want luxuries ie holidays abroad etc I need to work.
Luckily if I do get the job as I work in childcare LO would be coming with me as at 19 months I still can't imagine leaving her! x

Hi doll,
I've been back at work for about 6 weeks and I love it BUT I'm very lucky in that I don't miss a second of B in the day cause I'm working in the evenings. It does mean I see Al a bit less but, when I do have the night off we really make the most of it and make the effort (previously we just sat staring at the telly!)
My OH is also a gem and also said I don't have to work but I have always contributed to the running of our house and I want to pay my way (plus have a little bit of money for myself, that I earned!) And it's not forever - when B is older and at school I can get a job that suits around that.
I hope you can find something that suits Lou, a friend of mine is really struggling to find child-friendly hours and child friendly work! It's so tough for Mums who want/need to work as there are so little jobs for them. I know a lot of people wouldn't do what I'm doing (weekend bar work til 4am) but I'm desperate! X

Poppy is 10 months now, and I always said I would go back to work when she turns One.

I lost my job shortly BEFORE finding out I was pregnant, so spent my entire pregnancy not working. So it's been a while! I'm stuck for what to do though - I HATE the thought of going out to work and leaving Poppy with someone. I don't want to miss a second of her growing up. I would LOVE to be a full-time Mummy.
I know a lot of you will say 'Oh diddums, we all have to do it' but I've just come to the forum really for some advice/tips on how you cope?
I was considering getting an evening/weekend job, but then I would never see my OH! Speaking of OH, he has told me I don't have to go back to work, I can be a full-time Mummy and that he's happy to support us for as long as I want, which is great of him, but we can't survive on his wages alone, we have to claim benefits and I don't want to do that for too long.
The day I have to go back to work I will be a blubbering wreck! I'm hoping to do maybe two days a week in an office. I would rather work two full days than a few hours every day.

Oh god I don't really know what I'm getting at here, I'm just rambling, but perhaps some of you can tell me

*how you coped when you went back to work

*If you didn't go back to work, how do you cope financially?

*what do you do for a job?

Or any of you who haven't gone back to work yet, what are your plans?

Perhaps it'll put my mind at ease a bit! Thanks girls :)

Ive been back at work since Feb 27th (yes i have been counting) and its still as hard leaving Francesca now as it was on my first day back.

I always knew that i would be going back full time as we couldnt cope much when i was on maternity and the company i work for is really good so i didnt want to leave.

Its easier to take my mind off being at home with F if im busy at work, which then in turn makes the days go quicker! And it also gives me some adult conversation! It got to the point where i was talking in my baby voice to my OH :)

My job is a bit of everything, i work in an IT software company doing support for the sales team so its pretty hardcore come the end of the month, end of quarter and end of financial year... which helps alot cos like i said before im busy most of the time!

It makes me appreciate my time with F a lot more too! I rush home so i get to play with her until she goes to bed! We do more at the weekends, because we dont get to go to the park etc during the week!

Also, it helps if you leave them with someone you completely trust... we have been really lucky in the sense that my mum doesnt work so she has her one day a week, F's godmother has her 2 days a week and OH's mum has her the other two as she works from home! If you dont have family to do it then really look into childminders, nurserys etc... and make sure you look into the childcare voucher scheme with whoever you go to work for!!

Sorry for the novel but i hope i covered everything :)

Working full time isnt for everyone, and if i didnt have to do it i would work part time. The way i look at it is, im working to give Francesca the best start in life and so we can buy her nice things, live in a nice house etc.. :)

I decided to go back to work because we have our own company and returning to work takes a lot of pressure off my OH, who is overworked already. Plus I really liked my job so I see it as my time to get away from mummy duties and focus on something else :). I do mainly public relations at our company but as we're quite small I do end up doing anything else that's a pressing concern. We would be able to cope financially if I hadn't gone back but we would be stuck in rented accommodation and wouldn't be able to buy our own place (We've moved a lot around the country now and I'm desperate to settle down).

I've only been back to work for a week but it's going really well so far. I'm actually surprised at how relaxed I feel. It's mainly because instead of nursery we have hired a really lovely nanny so I don't have any concerns about LO being well looked after while I'm not there.

I worked full time when my 1st was baby went bk when she was 6months & this time round i'm going back start of aug (kayden will be 9 months)

Its hard to leave them, no doubt about it, but its good to get time away from LO, its good to have a part of yourself thats seperate to being a mummy. I was distraught the first week, but after that I started enjoying the social aspects, I know its wierd hearing someone say they enjoy work, but when your used 2 sitting with LO all day, it really does make you feel more normal.

The thing is there is always something your gona miss out on, either LO or OH, but think of the benefits to working, if you leave it til LO is older you might find it even more difficult to leave her & you might feel too far removed from the working environment.

I say give it a go, worst comes to worst you go back to how you are now. Give a few weeks.

I suppose worst thing is finding something with good times/days. Best thing to do is sort out childcare who can help watch LO, what time of day would suit. Then decide what kind of thing to apply for.

xxxxxxxxxxx

this is my second week back. i hate it. but gradually coping a bit better. what has really helped is that emma loves nursery and i can see her develop so much there that i don't feel guilty at all.

she has chicken pox at the moment and is at home so oh took a day off. as i was leaving the house they were having a big tickling session and i just felt like shit.

however i am an 'achiever' and there are parts of me that do enjoy going back to work. we ahve just stared trying for our second and think that once i get an 'end date' it will be a lot easier again.

i keep reminding myself that i am working to pay for things like holidays etc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back