Gluten intolerance?

Squeakz

Reaction score
As joshua has a cows milk allergy we were told to completely stay away from any bread products until he was 6 months old, as there was a possiblity that as he has one intolerance he might have others. So on saturday (he was 6monthss and 6 days) we gave him a bread stick for the first time. He was fine for an hour and then woke up SCREAMING. The only time he has ever done that before was when he was on cows milk before werealised what was up! Could it be a gluten allergy? Does anyone have any experience of this??

From what we have found out coealiac (sic) disease, wheat intolerance and gluten intolerance, are the same family of intolerances but slightly difference. He was had wheat aparently as it is in oats and he has had rice cakes but this was literally the first thing of gluten he has ever had and provoked such a dramatic response....

Tried to get in touch with my HV but thus far no luck

THanks in advance girls!!
xxx

my oh is celiac, and we were advised to hang on until 6 months & to take it slowly with gluten based products. i have been introducing them slowly the last few weeks & so far marley seems absolutely fine with them. hes had bits of bread, porridge, cereals etc and doesnt seem to have reacted in a negative way. i aupaired for 2 boys whos dad and uncle were both celiac but they were fine. im still dubious about giving lo too many wheat based products and intend on giving him the annabel karmel gluten free pasta etc etc until we know for sure if he is celiac or not,.... my gp told me today that there are blood tests that he can have done in the future. i would deffo try t o speak to ur HV and just avpid giving him anything with gluten for a while!! sorry im not much help!

no thats great help!! also, after he had his breadstick his poo for the nexty 2 days was red.....completely red...well it was regular colour but had massive amounts of red in it.....i called the hv team and told them about his intolrance to cows milk and she turned around and said 'well its more of a sensitivity' and started harping on about that as if that was what i called about stupid mare!! We just got worried as his reaction to the breadstick was the same as his reaction to cows milk......incessant screaming and funny poo (tmi)!
Thanks for the advice!! this might sound even more stupid but does rice have gluten in?!?!

x

this might sound even more stupid but does rice have gluten in?!?!

x

No, rice is gluten free so you should be fine there :). Some other gluten free things include corn (maise), potato, buckwheat (don't be scared by the name!) and millet :). Maybe try him on some mashed potato and see if that goes down without any trouble?

The only things that have gluten in them are wheat, barley, rye and their relatives. Oats are gluten free but are usually contaminated with wheat since they grow it in the same fields and harvest and process using the same equipment. The other problem is that many unlikely looking products contain wheat flour or barley extract (pre-prepared mashed potato, soups, sauces, baby foods etc.) so you have to be very careful and check the ingredients lists.

Last edited:
thanks for that....he has had homemade mash fine. Just that was as far as we were concerned the first time he had had any gluten at all and it made him crazy....any jars he has never have gluten in as they are theo nes with basically nothing in due to ghiw cma and we have generally found that if there is no milk in then there has been no gluten..... Thanks for the help, ill give it a go and start looking out for it! xxx

i registered with hipp organic, and they can create menus for your lo according to you, so for example i chose to have all the jars that dont contain gluten & then i went out and bought them. i try not to use jars too much as i like doing everything home made but sometimes its not always possible! its great as they give u a menu planner & everything! and at least i know those jars dont have gluten without having to look at labels etc!!

Well we make everything at home but we havnet worked out yet how to transport ice cube stuff when we are going out?? How do you do it?? We aren't a fan of using jars if we can help it but sometimes, like if were going out, how to do anything else x

i usually defrost it, and then pop it in a tuppaware pot and then heat up when out OR heat it up before i go out and let lo eat it luke warm, although i find it much easier to just use a jar for when i go out! lol.

Aw that's brilliant!!! Cheers!!! I may HAVE to invest x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back