glucose tollerence? anyone refused?

lisa&alex

Reaction score
coz my bmi's high and i want a home birth mw said i need a gtt at 28 weeks.. i dont see the point as ive not had any sugar in my urine.. just coz im podgy.. why should i put my body through starvation then sugar overload.. its stupid..

just wondered if anyones refused it as they are in teh same situation as me.?

I went for it to be on the safe side. Had no sugar in urine either. I didn't find the "starving" thing an issue either because it's from 10pm and I had to be at the hospital for 9am so all you miss is breakfast (again not an issue for me as I'm not a big breakfast person anyway)

Fortunately it came back normal - think the limit is 8 and I was at 4.something.

ive got to have mine next week , so much earlier then 28 weeks :cry: i dont wanna refuse cos it finds something it will help control it

to be honest with you hun i think they r a waste of time, i had 3 in my pregnancy because my parents r both diabetic and i am overweight and they all came back clear and hannah was born showing all the signs of a diabetic baby and the doctor actually said they r a waste of time

I had one on tuesday, even though my previous babies were 6 pound 13 and 7 pound 2. The hospital insisted I have it, and I was really pissed off, only due to my bmi and not for any other reason. It came back all clear.

I'd go and have it and just get through it as best you can... it's unfair I know, but you will be pleased if all is well, and it is one less thing to worry about.

Total waste of time in my case though x

in my opinion.. i dont see the poitn.. coz if u got type 2.. then you can still have a home birth according to the homebirth site.. and if u have type 1.. u also can.. so whats the point.. i will still insist ona home birth whatever... so i suppose i will jsut wait to hear from the head mw.. and have a word with her.

I have one booked begining of November,

my gran and dad both have type 2 although my dad isnt on any meds, my BMI is high so they told me i was having it, i didnt get a choice.

i'm not a breakfast person either and have to be there for 9-15am, had book a day off work coz by the time it's done there wont be much point going into work..

why have I got to have one? My BMI is normal and theres no diabetes in my family... :shock: so Im not at any risk...!!! grrr stupid Spanish hospitals :x :x :x

personally i'll take any test they are willing to give me if it means i don't get any nasty suprises at the end.

Squiglet said:
why have I got to have one? My BMI is normal and theres no diabetes in my family... so Im not at any risk...!!! grrr stupid Spanish hospitals

My bmi is normal and there's no diabetes in my family but they called me in for a gtt when i was pregnant with Aidan coz at a scan they said he was measuring big. Apparently that's a sign of gestational diabetes. As it happens they found nothing and they continued to say he was a big baby all the way through - I ended up having him at 40+2 and he was 7lb 5 so they were all wrong anyway.

A GTT test is important because it can show up possible future issues with both LO and you, just because you have a + result, it doesn't mean you'll be 'disallowed' birth choices, just that you'll be aware of any special circumstances that may go with that choice :) However, it is a personal choice. Fortunately I tested negative and have a v.high BMI, but I'm glad I had the test for reassurence, very best wishes ladies :hug:
This page is full of info which I found helpful too;
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/referenceda ... ldiabetes/

theyve put me down for one at 28 weeks but ive decided i dont want it.
if sugar starts appearing in my urine then i might rethink it but i dont see the point?

thats what im thinking...when the head mw calls i will jsut say to ehr my concerns.. and dont see the point of it if i have no sugar in the water.

plus i feel normal.. surly i would have ups and lows if i was diabetic?

same here, my new hospital put me down for a 28 weeks test and i haven't been yet (im 30 weeks tomorrow). i've had no problems with my urine whatsoever. maybe i should go just in case, i don't know. :think:

I had to have a GTT because I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, even though I had no sugar in my urine and my BMI is normal. I just went to be on the safe side, even if it comes up positive you can still opt for a homebirth, like redshoes said, but you will be aware of the risk of a bigger baby.

Maybebaby, now I'm a bit worried. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome as well and no one ever mentioned to me I should have the GTT test! :( And my next appointment with my midwife is next Friday (will be 37 weeks by then). Maybe I should call and ask her! :? Did they say you are in a higher risk because of the POS?

well this is just the thing.. midwife said yesterday.. if we can give you a home birth we will.. she didnt say if i fail the gtt, or i have high blood pressure, or slight pre eclampsia i cant have it.. she said if ur bps a bit raised ul still have it, if ur babys big ul still have it, we will only say no if we know theres a danger to u or the baby. ie its breech..

so personally i dont see the point..if theres no sugar in my urine.. im not diabetic. so whats the point of having it? to check to see if my babys big? well i can still have a home birth if it is?
to check to see if my body tollorates sugar? well if theres no sugar in my urine it can/ so pointless test if u ask me.

erin said:
Maybebaby, now I'm a bit worried. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome as well and no one ever mentioned to me I should have the GTT test! :( And my next appointment with my midwife is next Friday (will be 37 weeks by then). Maybe I should call and ask her! :? Did they say you are in a higher risk because of the POS?

I told my midwife at the booking appointment that I have PCOS, and she didn't mention it again until my 20 week appointment when she just said 'oh, and your gtt will be at 24 weeks'. She seemed to think it was standard because there's a higher risk of diabetes generally if you have PCOS.

If your midwife hasn't shown any concern about the size of the baby and there hasn't been any sugar in your urine I wouldn't worry. But it might be worth just mentioning to your midwife to see whether you should have one just in case.

emma28 said:
personally i'll take any test they are willing to give me if it means i don't get any nasty suprises at the end.

Snap!

I had one at 28 weeks as my mum is type 1.

I have a pal who refused her GTT and ended up very ill with Gestational Diabetes....she had to have her baby at 30 weeks (Kieran weighed in at almost 5 pounds and was poorly because of the sugar). He's struggling to put on weight and is a poor wee mite.

the GTT is to spot potential diabtes early so if you at risk it is best to have it as you can then PREVENT yourself getting to the stage where you get sugar in your urine.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back