• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Giving Water?

Emmylou

Reaction score
Hi All,
Well MIL has been here for 3 hours (only 7 days 21 hours to go) and already we're disagreeing!
I was told not to give drinks of water between feeds (by MW & HV) but MIL wants to give her a drink of water as she thinks it is boiling hot here (its p!ssing down/ windy & I'm cold) so therefore Libby is going to get dehydrated (I think MIL is having a hot flush :think: )
I have said I don't want her to have water & will just give her a bottle (she had her last one at 8.30am.
MIL is ranting about HV not knowing what they are on about these days, how ridiculous etc.

So, do you give water to your LO everyday?
Am I overreacting by following what my HV has advised & not allowing her to give L water?
Should I be giving water?

Libby was BF for 12 weeks but now I have moved to bottle.

I have been told to give her water if she is constipated to get things moving, but she's not constipated.

my hv said I can give thomas juice, so we bought heinz baby juice and put 7oz water to 1 oz juice just to give a tiny bit of flavour, he loves it!!

Jake wouldn't really take anything else other than milk until I started weaning him at 5 1/2 months. If the weather gets really hot it might be worth trying Libby with some water but don't worry if she won't take it. I have read that baby's who are exclusively breasfed don't need any water but formula fed baby's can have some water or juice in between meals but not too much as it could fill them up and then they won't take their milk or food.

I've given Sam water since he's been on solids, so really only for the last couple of weeks. He drinks about 4oz a day, but it is very hot here.....

You do what YOU want to do, you know what feels right for your LO.

:hug:

I have been told different, Milk is their food and what with the warm weather it doesn't hurt to give water, Harry has two 7oz bottles everyday

alice has water everyday and i have offered it everyday since she was a few weeks old.

oran has water most days but will only drink it warm, he just gaggs when its cold. Even then he prob only has a few oz a day at most, I mainly give it him after he has been sick, just a few sucks cause he usually has a mouth full of sick for ages after otherwise.

just do what you think it right hun

i have given willow water since she was about 6 weeks old i mak up a 4 oz bottle she doesent really take much as i dont want to fill her up on water.

we were told to give emma juice when she was constipated by a doctor but then when the HV found out she flipped and said she should only have milk and water (this was when emma was about 2 months old) now she has water during the day especially if its hot i offer it to her and if she doesnt want it she wont drink it and if she does shell gulp it down :D

I didn't give Ellie any water until after I started her on solids. I was breastfeeding though, I think that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back