Giving medication and doctor rant

daftscotslass

Reaction score
I've had a bad morning. Becky has been a gem this morning and we had to drag her to the hospital for a blood test because of her positive Coombs test at birth (basically to check for jaundice and anaemia caused by my rhesus status). After waiting an hour and a quarter after our appointment time to be seen we finally saw the paediatrician. Felt extremely patronised by him.

For the first week at home we had to give her a folic acid supplement because of this and had huge issues with her being sick straight after. We tried everything suggested - giving her it before milk, after milk, in a small amount of milk, on its own and splitting the dose and only once did we manage to get her to keep it down. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the 7 days (that the prescription said) were up. I raised the issue that I had so much of the folic acid left with the midwife and she looked at the prescription and confirmed that it was a 7 day course.

So today the consultant confirmed she doesn't have jaundice but we have to continue with the folic acid in case of anaemia. I asked "for another week?". He responded with a patronising laugh and told us that we should be giving the supplement for 2-3 months and should have known this (forgive me for following the direction of another health profession and what was prescribed by one of his fellow colleagues). So I asked for advice regarding the vomiting and was told basically I have to stomach her (excuse the pun) being violently sick for the next 2 months every time she has it and to keep trying which, of course, I'll do for the sake of her health.

Has anyone had experience like this with any medication, not necessarily folic acid? If there's a better way to give her it I'd be so grateful.

didnt wanna read and run.. sorry i dont have any advise for you.. :hug:

I cant advise about the meds but i think i Dr if i were you. No one should feel belittled by a health proffessional, its both rude and uncalled for and Dr's need to start being reminded that without you they dont actually have a job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back