Girls names

EllieH

Reaction score
I like unusual girl names I have Aria & Xanthe (I know Aria isn’t unusual now), hubby wants to call baby Freya, I like it but I have my reasons not to use it.
Just any ideas I’d be very grateful!
Thank you

There is this app called "kinder" where you and your partner can swipe names you like. If you have a match it will tell you so! It helped us with the name of our DD2.
At first we had made a list of names and picked the ones we liked. But if either of us didn't like a name, we could not suggest it anymore. We ended up with a list of 3 names and eventually 2. Then in the end, we tried the names in sentences, with or without last names, nicknames, etc.

It's not easy, good luck!x

Yeah we’ve tried that, came up with Phoenix, and we were all of a sudden against it ha!

Thankgoodness I am having a boy because my Husband and I could not come up with a name we both liked for a girl to save ourselves.

I really liked Leni and he was in love with Keziah.

The only name we both found acceptable was Violet, but it is rising in popularity which is a bit of a turn off for me.

Thankgoodness I am having a boy because my Husband and I could not come up with a name we both liked for a girl to save ourselves.

I really liked Leni and he was in love with Keziah.

The only name we both found acceptable was Violet, but it is rising in popularity which is a bit of a turn off for me.

I love Leni/Eleni so much but couldn’t get D on board either, haha. He didn’t like Gilbert to start with!

We’ve had an Ethel and Mable come through recently which I think are both so cute but not that common. One of my friends favourite names is Persephone which is really unusual x

What about Estrid?
Is there any nasty nicknames that spring to mind or any horrible well known Estrids?

It reminds me of Astrid from How to Train a Dragon.

There’s a baby at playgroup named Astrid. Her mum said her 7yr old brother came up with the name and she fell in love with it. I said “oh so he’s a big How To Train Your Dragon fab then?” and she was like “what?!” - she legit had no idea where he got that name hahah

What about Estrid?
Is there any nasty nicknames that spring to mind or any horrible well known Estrids?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the nasty nicknames. There’s nothing that springs to mind. My son is Cameron and when I was pregnant with him and told my mum my name choices for a boy, she said it sounded like caMORON. Ffs. And now she’s raging that I won’t tell her our name choices this time round :rofl: you’ll always get someone making a smart remark x

If you try hard enough you can find a reason not to like any name!

What about Estrid?

You mean Astrid? This is the correct spelling according to its Scandinavian origin. There are no alternatives that I'm aware of.

There were 150 Astrid's born in England and Wales last year making it the 316th* most common name for girls. Relatively rare at the moment, but it is on the rise however!

*ONS stats compiled here: Baby Names in England & Wales

We’ve had an Ethel and Mable come through recently which I think are both so cute but not that common. One of my friends favourite names is Persephone which is really unusual x

One of my friends has a six year old Persephone, though they live in the States :)

Mabel is getting shockingly popular. There were 531 Mabel's born last year and it's now within the top 100 names for England and Wales :O

Ethel is still rare though yes :)

You mean Astrid? This is the correct spelling according to its Scandinavian origin. There are no alternatives that I'm aware of.

There were 150 Astrid's born in England and Wales last year making it the 316th* most common name for girls. Relatively rare at the moment, but it is on the rise however!

*ONS stats compiled here: Baby Names in England & Wales

I’ve just found ‘Estrid’ on an app, it says it’s Norse meaning ‘fair, beautiful goddess’ haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back