• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaviscon Mums...

shadow

Reaction score
Can Infant Gaviscon stop working?

I've been using it for about 3wks, and its been a god send for Jadon's Reflux. However, yesterday he was vomiting all over again, and crying; just like he used to before i started him on the gaviscon. The dosage is still the same, and he's taking it in the same way.

Can its effectiveness have worn off?

Ooooo i dont no. Caitlyn is on the infant gaviscon, she has started screaming again when she has an ounce left. Sorry i cant be of more help :hug:

It depends on how bad the reflux is.... Arianna was always ok on the gaviscon, but my nephew had REALLY bad reflux and the hospital gave him other stuff - not sure of the name sorry - maybe ask you HV

leland has bad days where not even gaviscon helps , but its probably a phase thats last about 3 days for him then his back to being fine , no idea what causes these phases tho or id stop it !

Gaviscon never worked for us, were on ranitidine and domperidone (two meds presribed by the hospital).

I have (on other forums) read about gaviscon working for a few weeks/months then stopping... perhaps a trip to your GP again, to tell them that its not working, see what they suggest.

Do you think he might have just had a little growth spurt? Another Mum suggested that to me when we had a similar prob - she had experienced it also and said her doc told her it can be due to baby's bod growing and stretching the oesophagus and it takes a few days for the stomach sphincters to grow and catch up. In the meantime the stomach doesnt quite close off properly so reflux is more likely. It makes sense to me, dunno if this is medical fact but might be worth just holding on a few more days and see what happens?
Try a few warm baths, nice deep ones in with you might soothe his little tum a bit poor thing. :hug:

clarey said:
Do you think he might have just had a little growth spurt? Another Mum suggested that to me when we had a similar prob - she had experienced it also and said her doc told her it can be due to baby's bod growing and stretching the oesophagus and it takes a few days for the stomach sphincters to grow and catch up. In the meantime the stomach doesnt quite close off properly so reflux is more likely. It makes sense to me, dunno if this is medical fact but might be worth just holding on a few more days and see what happens?
Try a few warm baths, nice deep ones in with you might soothe his little tum a bit poor thing. :hug:

I hadnt thought of it that way; good point.

He has a warm bath with his dad every night, nice deep one and he loves it, and it does seem to sooth him.

the gaviscon is working well for summer at the moment although she does have bad days when she screams through her feed but not many

BeckyJ said:
she does have bad days when she screams through her feed but not many
Caitlyn was like that. A really high pitched scream also.

Were really making progress with it tho, it used to take her an hour to have a bottle, this morning we were up at 7.10 and back to bed at 7.40 after 4oz and a nappy change. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

We still use Gaviscon.

We found that some days the reflux was really bad again and got us thinking that maybe he needed something else but we have just got on with it as he has never really been effected by it and his weight gain has always been good. It's mostly us that has the problem with the reflux and I have to say that we still experience the odd bad reflux day.

I never thought of the growth spurt thing. That is very possible.

Keep an eye on things and if you are not happy, have a wee chat with your HV. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back