Fussing at breast

TORino

Reaction score
Feeding time has become a bit of a nightmare again.

Tilly is getting really angry and biting and scratching at me again. It's like I haven't got enough milk. Could it be this?!?

Now Ive tried to have faith in my supply up until now but it's getting a bit of a joke now. I've offered both boobs several times and she keeps pulling off and shaking her head.

Any ideas? She has been feeding for 50 mins plus

Hassle had both boobs?

When my health visitor came round this week she watched me feed Harry as I'd been worrying about about him at some feeds

Especially if he's been crying or it's been a whole before feeds when I offer him my boob his head sways from side to side and his hands pummel me. I thought it was something I was doing but HV basically said it was just him messing about being impatient wanting milk!!

I just try to not get mad with him even though it's so frustrating cos we both know what he wants e just can't concentrate for long enough to latch.

I hold him lose to me and sshhhh on his ear quite loudly to settle him then have another go xx

I went through this too, it would be at the start of feeds, but I just kept going and he eventually settled. Its so frustrating though!

Like becky says, I think it's them being impatient for the flow to come in. I also worried that it was my supply but we're still going strong. You're doing a great job hun

Has her reflux settled?? Could be that. There are quite a lot of reason for fussing at the breast, have a look on the Kelly mom site. It could be your let down is either to fast or too slow - maybe expressing a wee bit off first would help. Xxx

When Henry fusses he usually has wind. Sometimes he will fuss at the beginning which just means he didn't get it all up last time and doesn't wanna eat with a windy belly.

Harry does this sometimes as well, pretty sure its impatience for milk, it can be very annoying

When Albert's starving he shakes his head, trying to follow him with the bottle normally ends up with us both being soaked with milk and it's more by luck than judgement that the teat goes in. Don't envy you having to do it with a boob!

When I was BF Harrison used to do this when he had wind, try winding her a few times throughout feeding!!
xxx

Kynon used to do this lots too and I thought the same but most of the time it was wind. Sometimes trying another position can help or trying to feed them a little more upright iykwim.

It's usually towards the end of a feed and not at the beginning?

The little critter got herself in the much of a state she didn't go back to bed this morning after the 3am feed.

:(

oh dear :hugs:

harry pulls and scratches at end of feed somtimes too, i think when the milk flow slows down they get frustrated, not sure what to suggest hun, usually giving the other boob works for me, can you keep swapping her over?

I did swap over this morning and swapped back again, she wasn't having any of it. Usually that works but not this time :(

I've had a right old mare with her at the feed, it was like a bloody battle and i was wrestling her a bit. Very stressful :(

This has been happening with theo too. I got a lactation consultant to come and see him. She said to swap breasts when he fusses, and then if he is still fussing after this, then to top him up with expressed milk, by sticking a finger in babies mouth so they suck, and syringe feeding at the same time! It's a bit tricky but it does work and they take what they want then, you're not just squirting it in their mouth. I have been doing this for 3 days now at every feed and he has stopped fussing. Hope this helps xxx

This has been happening with theo too. I got a lactation consultant to come and see him. She said to swap breasts when he fusses, and then if he is still fussing after this, then to top him up with expressed milk, by sticking a finger in babies mouth so they suck, and syringe feeding at the same time! It's a bit tricky but it does work and they take what they want then, you're not just squirting it in their mouth. I have been doing this for 3 days now at every feed and he has stopped fussing. Hope this helps xxx

Oh my, that sounds like a mare with the syringe etc Can you not give it in a bottle? I've relented with the bottles and dummies now as the hv insisted that as she had put on that much weight and was feeding well it wouldn't affect it.

She doesn't do it every feed but has been doing it more and more lately. It's really annoying

It's usually towards the end of a feed and not at the beginning?

The little critter got herself in the much of a state she didn't go back to bed this morning after the 3am feed.

:(

That sounds exactly like G, we're now on ranitadine for her relux and shes stopped doing it.

xxx

Yeah I really want to give him a bottle but she told me not to until feeding is fully estAblished xx

Yeah I really want to give him a bottle but she told me not to until feeding is fully estAblished xx

how long did she till you to wait?? i thought after the 4 week mark you should be ok.

I had a fast let down. I'd have to pull away and let it spray in a muslin before carrying on.

After 50mins is she not just likely to be comfort sucking? F used to do this towards ends of feeds so o just took her off and called that the end of the feed as then she'd calm down whereas if I carried on trying to feed she'd latch on and off getting annoyed. I then gave her a dummy so she could comfort suck on that. Dunno of that's any help? Xx

Thank you ladies for replying. It's annoying because that's how I was getting her to sleep :( if I pull her off the breast it's a nightmare trying to get her off to sleep.

The HV said it was the reflux so hopefully if I can get some of the other meds like G we can fix it. Im still waiting to see the consultant though :( not had a letter of anything yet.

I was expecting something else to change given we've had such a good few days lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back