Fundal Heights

abcd1234

Reaction score
I'm going to conduct my own little experiment on fundal heights (yes i am putting off writing my assignment!!) I've got midwife today at 2:15 last time i went she measured her a week ahead, then a week later a midwife measured her spot on, then 2 hours later in hospital she was 2 weeks ahead. Soo....

I have measured my own fundal height, and my mum has too (shes trained midwife so knows how to do it properly) and im going to see if theres any difference in midwifes one

I think shes lying transverse again which would explain why she measures small when i thought she was huge, and in hospital she was breech, which is prob why she measured so much bigger.

Well them me and my mother both got 27cm, lets see what midwife gets!!!!

Please noone point out how silly this is, i'm interested ok, and its this or write an assignemnt i know nothing about :rotfl:

I hate fundal heights :evil:
They make people worry for no reason.

It does seem to vary with who measures you though :think:

Last week I didn't have mine taken and had a scan instead. I had always been a week ahead since around 30 weeks bear in mind. So at 34+5 weeks and Doctor told me LO was around 7lb (and gaining) and based on that my fundal height should be in line with that right?

Wrong!

Yesterday my MW measured it at exactly 36 weeks and I clocked in at 37cms, so a week ahead.

:wall: I'm more inclined to go with the MW tbh as my bump is not that huge and she thinks baby is more long than chubby.

As far as i know, fundal heights are a load of old balls.

I was messuring about 3 weeks behind at one point, the next week i'd magically caught up and everything was fine, but i'd been panicing about it the whole time.

I posted on here to get a bit of advice adn sooooooooo many people had been told they were having a teeny baby that turned out to be big, or vice versa. I dont trust FH :x

Agree with sazzylou, load of old rubbish.

I've been consistently over the top line on the graph but my midwife thinks my baby might actually not be all that biffy after all... :rotfl:

Me and OH have been measuring mine, especially when i got paranoid the other day after being called 'enormous' it seems ok when we measure it and previously the midwives have measured me as maybe 1cm smaller than it should have been... I've got a GP app on Monday so i may measure before then and see what we make it...

Let us know how you get on!

Well im still 4cm behind on it thats why i think its a load of old c**p.

Oh yeah i certainly wont be taking it as gospal lol i'm just interested to know.
I'm happy she's growing fine, you can see from my pics how much bigger she seems in just a week and moving fine etc.

I am hoping it is a load of baloney 9sp) cos I am measuring 7 cm ahead :rotfl: :rotfl: so she is going to be HUGE!!!

will check back later and see what your midwife got :)

It'll be interesting to see what the midwife says!

I was measuring 34cm at 32 weeks, 36cm at 34 weeks, 36cm at 36 weeks and then 39cm at 38 weeks. The 36 at 36 was done by my GP and all the others by a midwife so I'm sure it differs from person to person on how they measure you too!

Right well todays midwife was the same as the one last time, at 24 weeks she measured me and 25.

Today at 28 she measures me at 29

SO... in conclusion, as long as i have same midwife and my heights seems to be growing consitantly im sure it's fine, however it does differ from person to person.

She said baby was perfect size, and seemed to be fine, she also reckons she's head down, but tbh i dont think she stays like that for long.

My next appointment is with my GP so i'll see what she gets and measure myself again lol

This is your conscience speaking....

GET ON WITH YOUR ASSIGNMENT WOMAN!!!! :rotfl:

mine used to measure mine over my clothes and never spent more then a split 2nd feeling for pelvis bone or top of fundal so i never believed it

hi :wave: :wave:
so what did the mid wife measure you at???
Im measuring at 3cm over 35 cm at my 32 miwife appoinment last week
it

but he a long baby not a fat baby mid wife said

AND DID YOU EVER GET ON WITH YOUR ASSINGNMENT :shakehead:

sarah :wave:

no :oops: my assignemnt still isnt written!

I've told myself i will not be on here tomorrow, i will write it, THEN i can spend as long as i want on here after!!! God its not even a hard course there are jsut so many other fun baby related things to do with my time

My main midwife doesnt even bother writing the fundal height down so i dont no.

I think its just a general guide rather than an actual prediction of size they go for. With my first baby I was between 4 and 5 cms too big from about 30 weeks and been told to expect a biff baby. Obvioulsy this made me absolutely terrified cos Im only small! I did have a relatively big baby 8lb 14.5oz but certainly not the 10 or 11lber I'd been warned about!

my fundal height is all over the place

Just a short extract from my notes..

30+3 = 33cm
31+1 = 34cm
32+4 = 32cm
33+1 = 34cm
34+1 = 33cm
35+1 = 34cm
36+1 = 38cm

Now I have MEGA heartburn as Ive lost 4cm of space in the past week :lol:

I was sent for a scan as my fundal height had gone up so much in the space of a week. It put me way above the top line. The scan however puts me inbetween the bottom line and the midline... According to the fundal height shes almost 10lb and the scan says not even 7lb :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back