Formula feeding help

Toni_Win

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We started out BF and managed well for 3 weeks, but then I got infective mastitis and a breast absess and ended up in hospital for nearly a week. During that time my milk supply stopped, even though I was trying to keep it going with a breast pump. So we've now switched to formula. I wasn't really ready for this, so don't really know what I am doing with formula.

LO has been on it for just over a week now and seems to be doing fine, but I think he's feeding too quickly and taking too much. He'll be 5 weeks old next Monday and currently weighs 10lb 8oz. The formula box says to feed him about 4oz at this age, about 6 times a day. The health visitor says to make an ounce over what he needs in case he wants a bit more sometimes, so I make up 5oz bottles. But at almost every feed he's taking the full 5oz. He also finishes the bottle in about 10 minutes. We've got the teats with the smallest hole, but he just sucks it down so fast. If I try to take the bottle away when he's had 4oz he'll still make feeding cues and then start crying.

What should I do, I don't want to over feed him, but I want him happy too?

Copied to Feeding forum - I've not been here for so long I've forgotten my way around!

Last edited:
Hey hun don't worry. Those are just a guide on the box. Baby will take as much as he needs if he takes more he'll just sick it back up. So long as baby is happy and gaining weight it's all fine :) x

dont worry too much hun....just make sure hes winded properly. Joshua was always taking more than what the box said and hes perfectly happy and dandy and he was always just a hungrier baby!!!!!!! xx

Hi hun,

Sorry to hear about your mastitis and abcess, sounds blooming painful! Hope you're ok now. I think he'll take what he needs too. I'm new to all this, but sounds to me like you're doing a great job.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back