Formula amount question...

Lynsey

Reaction score
I am breast feeding Nathaniel but giving him a bottle of formula just before bed so my OH can do it. He has taken a bottle no problem and is happy to swop from nipple to bottle without fuss.

He is just over 2 weeks old and I was wondering how much he is meant to be having in a bottle? I can't tell how much he is taking from the breast in the day but last night he downed 80ml (3oz) from a bottle and desperately wanted more. I don't want to overfeed him as his tummy is still so small. How much were your LO's taking in each bottle around 2/3 weeks? Can I up the amount? I am sure I read that at this stage they were meant to be taking 40ml each bottle??? Help!!!

Becky was taking between 60ml and 90ml per feed at that point though she is formula fed so I don't know if that makes a difference :hug:

Finlay didn't have a bottle at that age but he did at around 2/3 months and I started him on about 4oz.

Maybe make up another oz and see how he goes :D

I did exactly the same as you but started at 3/4 weeks I can't remember which. It started off with 4oz and now it's 5 oz which started when he was 8 weeks. He was about 10lbs when we started feeding him 4ozs at night if that helps.

I also found that Isaac tends to want more...and more...and more, but if we limit it to 4/5ozs, it doesnt mean he'll wake up in the night hungry. In fact, he's just a greedy boy on the bottle - and as it's easier than BF for him he just carries on sucking away. We once fed him 6 1/2 oz by accident and he threw it all up promptly the greedy boy :lol:

You can't overfeed a baby, as they will just throw up anything that is more than they needed. I would ignore any guidelines and go by what you baby wants, try adding another oz and see if he wants it all, if he does add another and so on. I was told that you should aim to have an oz left at the end of a bottle just in case, so once they have drained a bottle a few times add another oz.

Thank you for your replies :D We put 4oz in the bottle last night and he settled quite well afterwards so think i will stick with that amount for now. He also slept 4 hours afterwards which i definitely needed! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back