flying with a baby and a toddler

beanie

Reaction score
We're off to Bulgaria next weds ( :cheer: ) but am nervous about flying with Seren and Cally. Does anyone have any tips that they want to pass on :)

Haven't flown with two but make sure that the little 'un is feeding during take off and landing so she doesn't have any problems with her ears. Maybe give Seren some water or juice, too. Was definitely the best tip I was given - the baby in the row in front of us screamed blue murder for both while his mum said "it must be hurting his ears because mine are popping" while Becky was sucking away quite happily and quietly!

Have a fantastic holiday, we're off to Holland and Croatia a few days after you! :hug:

We went to Spain in May.
Alex was 8 months old, and Lydia was 2 years 7 months.

Let me reassure you that it went pretty smoothly. Alex boobie-fed most of the way through and that helped him to sleep through the landing.

As for Lydia, we had pre-prepared her for what was going to happen during landing and takeoff, and as a result she wasn't scared at all, just excited. She sat very well all the way through the flight and looked out of the window, and we took a few books for her to look at as well.

Alex was on my knee - the air-stewardess gave me a special seatbelt that went through my belt and around his waist. They showed me what to do with it. It's not difficult.

At the back of the plane, one of the toilets has a little changing table that you flip down to change a baby on. It's very small and doesn't have a safety belt for the baby or anything, but I didn't find it difficult to use at all. I mean, the toilets are that teeny that he couldn't have fallen anywhere anyway as I was taking up the whole toilet lol.

Oh, and you are allowed to keep your pram right up until you get onto the plane. When you are at the stairs of the plane, you just take baby out of pram and fold it up and hand it to one of the baggage handlers. Then when you get off the plane, just ask one of the staff to get it for you at the stairs again.

The only slight problem was that once we had gone through the boarding gate, just before reaching the plane, there were a lot of stairs to get out of the airport and outside to where the plane was. It was difficult to push the pram down the stairs whilst juggling hand-luggage plus Lydia. Some other passengers grabbed the bottom of the pram for me though and helped me down the stairs.
We actually had two prams with us when we set off - one for Lydia and one for Alex. But we decided whilst we were on holiday to leave one of the prams in the hotel room (it had only cost £15) because we didn't want to have to handle both prams on the journey back. It was much easier to have Lydia walking. I'm very glad we decided to do that.

I'm actually off on holiday again on Thursday with my mam and the kids. We're off to Spain. So I shall be tackling the planes again with a 1 year old and 23 month old. I'm not even slightly worried though about the flights now.

So yes, my one piece of advice is to only take 1 pram if you don't need one for Seren. Or use slings. Other than that, take books and things to keep the kids occupied. Lydia got a bit bored in the airport coming back because we had a longish wait before we boarded.
That's all, I'm sure everything will go fine for you. Have a fantastic trip :)

wow great replies thanks :)

I will be wearing Cally and we are taking our Quinny Zapp just in case it is too hot to carry her so hopefully we can just put it in at check in.

I was planning on taking soem water for Seren for take off but understand there is a limit to what fluids you can take on board???

beanie said:
We're off to Bulgaria next weds ( :cheer: ) but am nervous about flying with Seren and Cally. Does anyone have any tips that they want to pass on :)

i flew to Canada when my eldest two were 1 and 2. It ws ok. I don't remember doing anything special. They just fell asleep shortly after takeoff and that was that.

For Seren I would suggest water in one of those sports style bottle so she is "sucking" too, or even give her a sweet to suck on.

Again I have only travelled with Arianna, and I did it alone to the states and she was fine. Do you know what size of plane you are travelling in? If it is a big one, try to pre-book your seats in the bulk head as there is firstly extra room, but most importantly, fold out cots or bouncer chairs for Cally to sit in.

I fly all the time with Ky and Frankie. Frankie has flown from 6 weeks old. Its not such a big problem if I'm flying with Paul, but I hate flying on my own with them! (Checking in is the worst, I have to take the baby out her sling, fold up the buggy and put it through x-ray, take my Laptop out the case...all while trying to keep hold of two kids, one of which just wants to run off!)
-With regards to liquids I find different airlines have different rules, so I tend to not take anything but their cups with nothing in, then buy their drinks from Boots once we have checked in. If all else fails I can breastfeed Frankie and Ky and have a drink on the plane...But we have never flown a long haul flight, only the hour flight to and from Germany.
I always take my buggy and a sling and Ky's Little life Rucksack, so depending on whats easiest at the time I have the option of having Ky in the buggy and Frankie in the sling or Frankie is the buggy and Ky attached to his Backpack.
-Some airlines let you take the buggy to the gate, some make you check in your buggy and give you one of theirs.

Actually on the plane the only thing I have a problem with is getting Ky to sit still and control him while I have Frankie on my lap, but thats because he's a naughty little monkey! - They don't seem to have problems with their ears but I do feed Franke on takeoff and landing and give Ky either a drink or a sweet to suck on.
-Ky has to have play dough, his books and other bits and bobs because I have to have something to occupy him because I do find it hard to make him sit still for the entire flight.

I can't think of anything else!

Beanie we've never really had a problem with the amount of fluids you can take, you can also buy more once you go through check in anyway. I would take either a sports bottle or an anywayupcup or similia to make sure she is really sucking on it.

I had chocolate buttons and a lolly etc for back up, the buttons went down well and mine didn't have any probs with their ears.
Re: the flight, I just do the obvious and take plenty of books and crayons etc to keep her occupied, the airline staff are usually pretty good.

Have a fab time!

Haven't flown with two but make sure that the little 'un is feeding during take off and landing so she doesn't have any problems with her ears. Maybe give Seren some water or juice, too. Was definitely the best tip I was given - the baby in the row in front of us screamed blue murder for both while his mum said "it must be hurting his ears because mine are popping" while Becky was sucking away quite happily and quietly!

Have a fantastic holiday, we're off to Holland and Croatia a few days after you! :hug:

We went to Spain in May.
Alex was 8 months old, and Lydia was 2 years 7 months.

Let me reassure you that it went pretty smoothly. Alex boobie-fed most of the way through and that helped him to sleep through the landing.

As for Lydia, we had pre-prepared her for what was going to happen during landing and takeoff, and as a result she wasn't scared at all, just excited. She sat very well all the way through the flight and looked out of the window, and we took a few books for her to look at as well.

Alex was on my knee - the air-stewardess gave me a special seatbelt that went through my belt and around his waist. They showed me what to do with it. It's not difficult.

At the back of the plane, one of the toilets has a little changing table that you flip down to change a baby on. It's very small and doesn't have a safety belt for the baby or anything, but I didn't find it difficult to use at all. I mean, the toilets are that teeny that he couldn't have fallen anywhere anyway as I was taking up the whole toilet lol.

Oh, and you are allowed to keep your pram right up until you get onto the plane. When you are at the stairs of the plane, you just take baby out of pram and fold it up and hand it to one of the baggage handlers. Then when you get off the plane, just ask one of the staff to get it for you at the stairs again.

The only slight problem was that once we had gone through the boarding gate, just before reaching the plane, there were a lot of stairs to get out of the airport and outside to where the plane was. It was difficult to push the pram down the stairs whilst juggling hand-luggage plus Lydia. Some other passengers grabbed the bottom of the pram for me though and helped me down the stairs.
We actually had two prams with us when we set off - one for Lydia and one for Alex. But we decided whilst we were on holiday to leave one of the prams in the hotel room (it had only cost £15) because we didn't want to have to handle both prams on the journey back. It was much easier to have Lydia walking. I'm very glad we decided to do that.

I'm actually off on holiday again on Thursday with my mam and the kids. We're off to Spain. So I shall be tackling the planes again with a 1 year old and 23 month old. I'm not even slightly worried though about the flights now.

So yes, my one piece of advice is to only take 1 pram if you don't need one for Seren. Or use slings. Other than that, take books and things to keep the kids occupied. Lydia got a bit bored in the airport coming back because we had a longish wait before we boarded.
That's all, I'm sure everything will go fine for you. Have a fantastic trip :)

wow great replies thanks :)

I will be wearing Cally and we are taking our Quinny Zapp just in case it is too hot to carry her so hopefully we can just put it in at check in.

I was planning on taking soem water for Seren for take off but understand there is a limit to what fluids you can take on board???

beanie said:

i flew to Canada when my eldest two were 1 and 2. It ws ok. I don't remember doing anything special. They just fell asleep shortly after takeoff and that was that.

For Seren I would suggest water in one of those sports style bottle so she is "sucking" too, or even give her a sweet to suck on.

Again I have only travelled with Arianna, and I did it alone to the states and she was fine. Do you know what size of plane you are travelling in? If it is a big one, try to pre-book your seats in the bulk head as there is firstly extra room, but most importantly, fold out cots or bouncer chairs for Cally to sit in.

I fly all the time with Ky and Frankie. Frankie has flown from 6 weeks old. Its not such a big problem if I'm flying with Paul, but I hate flying on my own with them! (Checking in is the worst, I have to take the baby out her sling, fold up the buggy and put it through x-ray, take my Laptop out the case...all while trying to keep hold of two kids, one of which just wants to run off!)
-With regards to liquids I find different airlines have different rules, so I tend to not take anything but their cups with nothing in, then buy their drinks from Boots once we have checked in. If all else fails I can breastfeed Frankie and Ky and have a drink on the plane...But we have never flown a long haul flight, only the hour flight to and from Germany.
I always take my buggy and a sling and Ky's Little life Rucksack, so depending on whats easiest at the time I have the option of having Ky in the buggy and Frankie in the sling or Frankie is the buggy and Ky attached to his Backpack.
-Some airlines let you take the buggy to the gate, some make you check in your buggy and give you one of theirs.

Actually on the plane the only thing I have a problem with is getting Ky to sit still and control him while I have Frankie on my lap, but thats because he's a naughty little monkey! - They don't seem to have problems with their ears but I do feed Franke on takeoff and landing and give Ky either a drink or a sweet to suck on.
-Ky has to have play dough, his books and other bits and bobs because I have to have something to occupy him because I do find it hard to make him sit still for the entire flight.

I can't think of anything else!

Beanie we've never really had a problem with the amount of fluids you can take, you can also buy more once you go through check in anyway. I would take either a sports bottle or an anywayupcup or similia to make sure she is really sucking on it.

I had chocolate buttons and a lolly etc for back up, the buttons went down well and mine didn't have any probs with their ears.
Re: the flight, I just do the obvious and take plenty of books and crayons etc to keep her occupied, the airline staff are usually pretty good.

Have a fab time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back