Fluoxetine

Gill09876

Reaction score
Prior to being pregnant I took 20mg Fluoxetine to help with my IBS. I get anxiety attacks when my tummy flares up & the fluoxetine helped. My midwife said I could carry on this dose as it's so low, I'm just afraid to jeopardise the pregnancy. I want to do everything right. Has anyone else taken fluoxetine & baby been ok?

Thank you

Gill

Hi, not taken it but its one of the 'pregnancy safe' antidepressants. As in out of all its the ones that is deemed most safe, theres been the research on it. Obviously no meds is ideal but thats not always possible , i might have to go on it through pregnancy but done some research and they only prescribe when they really need to and it has been approved for use ise in pregnancy. Hope that gives you some reassurance.

Last edited:
I was put on a normal dose of this a couple of years ago. It made me feel physically numb all over and almost made my mental health worse! Personally, if it made me that numb I wouldn't like to think what it would do to baby. I came off all meds in November as we were looking to the future. It was bloody hard as you have to ween off (sort of like a drug addict really) if you can ween off now you will feel better I think than if you do it later in the pregnancy as for a month I was all over the place. I have substituted the tablets with alternatives such as therapy and herbal remedies. I know it's not for everyone but just thought I'd offer a bit of advice from a similar situation. I refuse to even take paracetamol at the minute haha :) Anxiety is horrible, and I think its just got worse for me in pregnancy but there are some good alternatives to tablets to try help xxxxxx

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I was taking the same dosage and my doctor refused to prescribe me anymore despite me doing my own research on it :( He told me to quit taking them straight away and I'm really struggling with it . I'm going to speak to my midwife like you did

Hope you get it sorted xxx

Hi Gill

I was on Fluoxetine 20ml for a year and some months up until I found out I am expecting. I asked my GP about it and he advised me it is a 'pregnancy safe' drug on a low dose (which 20ml is) and if I felt I needed to continue with it he was happy to support that. But he was also very good to advise me of the 'risks' (note: the risk % is very low but still a %) and let me have a think about it.

I decided not to take it anymore and see how I go with my anxiety. He says if I start feeling terrible at any point we can come back to it and review what I'd like to do. Have you considered something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back