Flat head

moss

Reaction score
I feel like Jacob has a slightly flattened spot on his head. I can only think that it would be from his carrier, because he always faces the same direction. Even if we turn his head, he will fight and fuss until he is facing the other way. He is almost never on his back. So far, it isn't anything major, but I am worried it could get worse.

I want to mention it to the HV or the next time we bring him to the GP, but I feel like I am always fobbed off unless it is something serious. Can anyone share their experiences of raising this as a concern, especially if it was only minor? Also, will it just go away if it doesn't get much worse?

We had the same problem with charlie, the HV is likely to tell you just to keep turning him, make sure he isn't lying on that side when sleeping etc, to be fair 9 times out of 10 that will work and it will go back to normal by itself.
There are special pillows etc that you can buy but they aren't really reccomended for a minor problem.

I would just tell health visitor you noticed it and ask if she can explain why it happens and what her advice is :D

Thanks. Jacob won't sleep on his own lately so in order to get him to sleep in the day we have to sling him or lay him on our tummies and at night he will ONLY sleep on my husband's tummy. We try to turn him but he just grizzles and goes back! I have mentioned how he only sleeps with us at night and was just told to keep encouraging him into his own bed, even after I explained I like co-sleeping. :roll:

Repositioning is the usual advice given to do early on and most problems correct themselves once LO starts moving their head a bit more and turning it both ways.

I'd do some tummy time, try to place him in a baby bouncer or some such and draw his attention the other direction, feed him lying on the opposite side all the time (not the side he favours) and so on. This will strengthen and encourage him to use both sides. We did all these things with Galen and his ever so slightly flat bit soon faded and he started moving his head more.

There is also something to do with the neck muscles being tight and baby not being able to turn their head one way. If Jacob is unable to move his head both ways check with your HV and GP about this. If not ask your HV their advice and go with repositioning. Same when sleeping, playing etc,

Thanks. He seems to have a very strong neck. He holds his head up and has for a while, and when he is settling he turns back and forth (very tiring for my husband since he will only sleep on him!) but always decides on the same side. Funnily enough, he is sleeping on the other side on me just now, which is very strange. He only tolerates tummy time for a couple of minutes, but as he sleeps on his tummy, I don't worry too much about that... He doesn't seem like he has any reason for getting this, in fact, but it has been more noticeable lately.

Hmm.

My little boy ended up wearing a helmet to correct his flat head. I am not trying to alarm you but please keep a very close eye on it and make sure his little head is kept off all hard surfaces, ie bouncy chair, car seat changing mat etc. You can buy little cushions to go round their necks from mamas and papas. Keep him off his back as much as you can and get him referred to physio so they can check there is nothing wrong with his neck muscles that are preventing full movement of his head. The gp's and health visitors fobbed me off for ages and eventually we had to go to the starband clinic in leeds to have his helmet made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back