FlapJack, Jack & Jill, Jackass....

HideiLu

Reaction score
OK, OH has been stuck on the name Jack for weeks and weeks now!

I don't mind the name, it's just the fact that it has been THE most popular boys name for about 13 years!!! I just don't want him to be too hmm, dunno what the word is, but I just want something a bit more original!!

I think of course he will make his name his own and be his own person I guess.

Oooh I'm in such a rambling mood this morning...not sure exactly what my point was now! :think: :wall:

Jacks a good name, but as you said its been the top name for eons.

Like many 'popular' names before it, it may well have something attached to it in later years.

I think back to the Wayne's and Kevins and Sharons and Traceys. All popular at a point in time but now sort of socially a bit of a joke to a certain generation here in the UK.

As much as I like some of the popular names used these days, I won't go for any of them for that reason alone. Too many kids with the names already.

how about Jake, its similar but not as common

Yep, exactly my point Sherlock! It's a bit like being 'Dave' everyone knows a Dave! And you can't ever talk about one Dave, without explaining which you mean! EG. 'Not Dave from the pub, the other Dave that lives with Kevin' :lol:

When he grows up it'll be the same thing, he won't just be Jack, he'd have to have an explanation as to which Jack he is! My nephew (who's 6!) did tell OH he has 2 Jacks in his class at school! :lol:

I think Jake and Jacob are getting popular too (probably for this reason) and besides, a good friend of mine named Jake sadly died in a car accident so don't really want to use it as a first name. :think:

Jacob is a good name and still not overly used. Joseph also.

Hmm other J names that spring to mind

Jesse
Jeremiah
Jago (I have a friend who called her son this years ago and never met anyone use it since)
Joshua
Jude

Similar issue with my OH and his liking of the names Jake and Joshua, seems to be so many little boys around at the moment with these names.

One more J name suggestion, how about Jed? It's OH's name and not many of them about! Only one I've met anyway!

Sarah x

:? could you not have just asked opinions on other names rather than commenting on the reasons you don't like Jack

Sweetcheeks24 said:
:? could you not have just asked opinions on other names rather than commenting on the reasons you don't like Jack
I think that's a bit unfair to be honest... She hasn't plucked a name out of the air and decided to slate it, it's a name her OH wants and she's not overly keen (we PM a lot so I know how she feels about the name).

I think it's more of a "convince me for or against" thread for the name Jack..

I personally wouldn't be offended if someone's OH wanted Evie but someone wasn't overly keen on it... :?

Sorry if I've ruffled feathers xx

dannii87 said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:
I think that's a bit unfair to be honest... She hasn't plucked a name out of the air and decided to slate it, it's a name her OH wants and she's not overly keen (we PM a lot so I know how she feels about the name).

I think it's more of a "convince me for or against" thread for the name Jack..

I personally wouldn't be offended if someone's OH wanted Evie but someone wasn't overly keen on it... :?

Sorry if I've ruffled feathers xx

I agree Danni, it was a slightly unfair comment to make. It is perfectly normal for someone not to like the name that you have chosen for your LO (Jacob and Jake were also mentioned and I am not offended at all!) It would be a boring world for everyone to be the same and like the same things.

Xxx

How about calling him Giacomo (Jack-o-mo)

It's a bit more unusual, and he'll get called Jack for short anyways.

Twas Casanova's first name 8)

I know what you mean about not choosing a name that's really popular and that was one of the reasons we like Lucy - we didn't know anyone called it and it wasn't too high in the popularity polls etc.

There are 4 girls called Lucy at her nursery all within 6 months of her!! So even with the best intentions you can't predict what will happen unless you choose something really unusual.

Our rule for choosing a name is that we both have to agree on it and like it. I have always like the name James but OH doesn't like it as a first name so its a possible for middle names. If he liked a name a lot that I didn't, we wouldn't use it - and the other way round, if I love a name but he doesn't then we wouldn't use it.

Jack was going to be our boy's name for ages since we were TTC but just before our 20 week scan we changed our minds because of its popularity. I know exactly what you mean when you say you have to explain which Jack/Dave you mean.

That's why we decided on Oscar, which now I love more than Jack as a name. The thing is in life not everyone is going to love your child's name - I'm sure loads of people hate Oscar. But to be honest, we picked it because we love it, not because we were trying to please everyone else. Although I think it can be rude if people slag off your name choice, there is a fine line in a section designed for name choices and I think HideiLu was not making a post designed to annoy anyone who ever called their son Jack. It sounded to me that she was discussing the popularity of the name which is a viable consideration when choosing a name for your child.

Firstly: I NEVER intended to offend anyone with regards to the name Jack! I didn't even slate it, I was just trying to say that OH had picked it and I wasn't 100% sure on it due to the reason that I said! I happen to think it is a very cute name and suits any age groups, it's the popularity that puts me off, but then a lot of people like names like that, OH being one of them as all his family have very traditional names. We have even been calling the bump Jack for the last few weeks (may have trapped myself in to the name there) so I am not saying it is anything bad! Sorry!! :oops: x

Minxy said:
How about calling him Giacomo (Jack-o-mo)

It's a bit more unusual, and he'll get called Jack for short anyways.

Twas Casanova's first name 8)

Oooh not heard that one before! I might be able to convince him on that one as he likes 'italian' sounding names...well, by that I mean he takes a name and adds an O on the end! :lol:

I like Joshua, Jude and Jed :)

Becky said:
I know what you mean about not choosing a name that's really popular and that was one of the reasons we like Lucy - we didn't know anyone called it and it wasn't too high in the popularity polls etc.

There are 4 girls called Lucy at her nursery all within 6 months of her!! So even with the best intentions you can't predict what will happen unless you choose something really unusual.

Our rule for choosing a name is that we both have to agree on it and like it. I have always like the name James but OH doesn't like it as a first name so its a possible for middle names. If he liked a name a lot that I didn't, we wouldn't use it - and the other way round, if I love a name but he doesn't then we wouldn't use it.

Lucy I didn't think was that popular before, as I knew none when I was growing up...and it's my name! Except as Mum is French she christened me the French way, Lucie, which I prefer :) I think Lucia is pretty too and there are a lot of Lucindas who shortern to Lucy.

I did stupidly say if it was a girl I would get to choose (As I was 100% set on Lilly-May) and if it was a boy he would have more say (following my approval! :twisted: :lol: )

Well I have to say I'm biased and love the name Lucy ;) and despite it being a lot more popular than I expected I wouldn't change it for the world. She is such a unique personality that she could have the most common of names, it wouldn't make a difference, but then again, girls names seem so much easier to choose than boys!

When we called our daughter Lucy we thought she would be the only one we knew lol! Then she went to school and there was another in her class and another the year below! hee hee
One of them spells it totally different though Liwsi which Im not as keen on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back