First period after miscarriage

SLP

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been reading posts on here for a few months but haven't see anyone yet who has experienced something similar to me (I could just be looking in the wrong places though)!

I had a miscarriage the w/c 8 July. I was around 5 weeks pregnant but hadn't found out until week 9. After about a week the bleeding became really heavy and I had to be admitted into hospital for 2 nights due to the amount I lost. They wouldn't give me a D&C. Before leaving the hospital I had a scan and they confirmed there was no tissue left but they gave me some antibiotics just in case.

After leaving the hospital I bled quite heavily for a few days then spotted for around 3-4 weeks after that! After a short break of no bleeding (1-2 weeks), I am bleeding again. This was light for the first week, then became really heavy for around a week and now it is just what I would consider medium. I can't see an end to it. Sorry if this is too much information.

Does this sound like my period and if so, is it normal? I have no idea what is going on. I did a few pregnancy tests at varying times and they all came back negative.

Any advice anyone can offer would be great. The doctor doesn't seem concerned because all the tissue was out before I left hospital but all this is driving me insane.

Hey hun,
If you've gotten negative preg tests than this probably is your period.

I miscarried at the end of june and like you bled on and off for weeks despite a scan showing everything had come away, i didnt get a negative preg test until 20th aug and then period arrived 22nd aug.
I've had 2 miscarriage where the first period after was 'unusual', after
My first mc there were lots of clots and it was really heavy and lasted 2 weeks (my periods usually last 5days) and my period just gone was weird thick - paste like blood (sorry tmi) and then went lighter and lasted 12 days.

My point is that periods take a while to get back to normal after a miscarriage so dont be too worried, if you are i'm sure your gp wouldnt mind seeing you just to make sure everything is ok :) xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss hun :hugs:

I have moved your thread to our 'Miscarriage & Loss' Section of the forum. Hopefully some of the lovely ladies in there will be able to give you some advise xx

I agree with above though and I think a drip to the doctors to put your mind at rest will do no harm xx

Thanks all for your messages, really appreciate them. This was my first pregnancy and nobody I know has had a miscarriage so these forums are so great for being able to talk about things. Sorry for all of you guys too who have experiences a loss. We are waiting until my periods return to normal before trying again so in the meantime just trying to be relaxed about it but it's really hard! Good luck to all the rest of you!

So sorry you are going through this :( It probably is your period but like Lou said, it can be a bit erratic after a MC and can be heavier/lighter than the norm etc.
I had a lot of bleeding after my last MC, I had erpc, bled for two weeks, first week was light then extremely heavy. The bleeding stopped for two weeks and then AF arrived and things have gone back to a fairly normal cycle, give or take a few days. I called the doctor about the bleeding and she said she wasn't concerned as had no intense pain, fever or offensive smell (TMI, sorry) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back