first meeting with MW tomorrow!

Hi,

Oooooh, talk about veins makes me go all funny!!! I couldn't look either!!

Yes, I think the heartbeat detection comes a bit later doesn't it - poss. 12 weeks. I'll be 12 weeks some time between Christmas and New Year I think, but the thing is I'm in Spain for 2 weeks over Christmas until New Years Eve so I doubt I'll get a scan until I'm 13 or 14 weeks.

I've been thinking about the Downs tests too. Most women I know have had it but I must admit, I refused when I was having Rosie because they didn't offer it until 16 weeks then. I wasn't offered one with Daisy. I've been thinking about whether I'd be prepared to have an amno test if it came back high risk and to be honest I don't think I would so I think I may just brave it and skip the test altogether. I don't think I could ever go through with a termination!

Hi Ladies

Just a quick query i have just booked my 1st MW appointment. The earliest appointment they had was the 6th December so i will be 8w+2. But i just had a thought is the MW appointment just for me or do OH's come along too?

Did you all go alone or with you OH?

LMP x

Hi There LMP, i wanted my partner to go with me, he couldnt get out of work so my mum came with me, You may need your partner for his familys medical history, he isnt obliged to attend, but i think it would be nice for both of you to start the journey together, me and my partner are having to wait until 13+6 to make it real for him (scan date)

Enjoy

Hi,

I think it is a nice idea for your OH to attend if he wants to. Mine has only ever been to scans with me as he finds it difficult to get time off work but I wish he could have come to some of the mw appointments with me. Undoubtedly, it'll be the same for me this time, and I'll have Rosie in tow which will be fun (when I was having Rosie Daisy was only very little and she screamed when I had to be examined and insisted on sitting on the bed with me).

Good luck with the appointment.

hi LMP... yeh your partner is more than welcome to go!!

my MW asked where he was.... i was like...,,, OH didnt know he could come!!! :(

Little miss pink said:
Hi Ladies

Just a quick query i have just booked my 1st MW appointment. The earliest appointment they had was the 6th December so i will be 8w+2. But i just had a thought is the MW appointment just for me or do OH's come along too?

Did you all go alone or with you OH?

LMP x

Went alone as I never thought they were for partners to attend tbh. Nothing really for your OH to do. They ask lots of questions, but if you know the basics of your OH's medical history you can answer the questions easily. In fact tbh I preferred the privacy of it all with the MW. I don't plan on my OH attending any of my MW appointments, only scans. My MW appointments so far have been less than 15 minutes long, stuck with a needle, wee tested, BP taken and thats about it. Not worth my Bloke taking time off work to attend methinks. As he is self employed its not so bad, but if your OH is employed I am not sure he will qualify for paid time off to attend MW appointments.

Up to you both though if he wants to attend.

skimpy said:
im trying to get a date sorted out so my OH can arrange to be there. it is really hard to get organised. MW told me today on phone that i probably wont hear about scan for a month :shock: and that i will probably not get one before Xmas :( was really hoping for one before xmas...as i am around 12 wks then, and we'd like to tell everyone, but it is looking like it is not going to happen :(

Any advice on how to get one sooner, or should i just go private??

It seems pretty standard to not get the date too far in advance. I only got mine about 2 weeks before hand, maybe a bit less. Its not they are being crap and slow about it if you don't hear before hand. So many what ifs where babies are concerned I doubt they could go planning all these scans too many weeks in advance :roll:

Going private is always a good option. Its not hugely expensive on the scale of things. And then you can pick a date and time that suits you and your OH. I actually cancelled my NHS 12 week scan as I went private at 11+4 and had dating, Nuchal and bloods taken all at once. Was a lovely hospital and results came through very quickly. Well worth the £180. A dating scan is of course cheaper so don't panic at the price there :lol:

Its kind of hard to change an NHS scan date if you've not yet been allocated one I found. You'll be within the hospital time frame for a 12 week scan by the end of December so hopefully you'll hear a bit before when it is.

You could always try to phone the hospital now and get a date, but remember its a busy time of year for them all round (they won't be doing routine scans etc over the Xmas break so will have to have a few days leeway either side I am guessing) and it just may not be possible without a really good reason to get it brought forward yet, especially as its not even been arranged yet. If that makes sense :roll:

skimpy said:
Thanks for your detailed reply Sherlock. Unfortunately, for a private scan we would have to travel - 400 mile round trip :shock: so do you generally never get a scan just befor 12wks?

There are a few ladies on the forum who have had 6wk scans...r they private or special circumstances?

400 miles? Are you sure there is nothing nearer for you? :( I'm sorry there is nothing nearer. Not even via the consultant based at your NHS hospital? Ask your GP maybe if there is anywhere?

And as a rule, afaik there is no scan done as routine before 12 weeks. The 6 week scans are internal and usually for emergency reasons due to bleeding or possible ectopic and so on.

Good luck. Maybe if your OH says to his boss your scan is due to come through but not until a couple of weeks before hand he'll be kind and say thats ok, and to let him/her know when it comes through and a couple of hours off will be fine at shorter notice. He should still be able to give a week or so at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back