finger food advice please

rhian85

Reaction score
what kind of food can i give my 8month old ? he would rather eat finger food than have a spoon shoved in his mouth. i have seen pics on here where babies the same age are eating things like chocolate/cake etc.

so im confused what can i give him to chomp away on and what can i not. is he okay to have the odd bit of cake or chocolate ? please give me some ideas as he is board of the usual bits like cheese,bread etc...thanks in advance :hug:

if hes teething, you cooudl give him chunks of cucumber and carrot (with the skin removed) that have been in the freezer for half hour - my girls went mad for them!

or of course theres rusks (they do still sell them dont they? lol)

He would be ok with the odd bit of choc or cake aslong as its not too muc, but fruit like a nice big slice of melon or apple is good too. :D

Brody loved stuff like cheese on toast, pitta bread, rice cakes, fruit, cooked and raw carrot, cooked brocolli etc :)

I loved giving Seren finger foods. I used to give her banana (in chunks), sliced peeled pear, melon, kiwi, toast soldiers with butter or a spread on, rice cakes, steamed veg like carrots, brocolli stems, small chunks of cheese, pasta twirls cooked and cooled, avocado slices (plus its a superfood), meatballs (just mince and onion), fishcakes (tinned salmon and brocolli mashed into potato and cooked), raison bread slices and cheerios. Have fun, its a great stage :)

Sorry to crash the thread, but Olivia really gags on bread.

I put salmon paste on it, she realy loves fish, but licked it all off and attempted to eat the bread, but it went stodgy and she started gaggin.

How do you get round that one?

I don't know how Seren got round that, she just seemed ok with it. Perhaps start with rice cakes that dissolve really easily and when they are more confident try them on toast???

rhian85 said:
what kind of food can i give my 8month old ? he would rather eat finger food than have a spoon shoved in his mouth. i have seen pics on here where babies the same age are eating things like chocolate/cake etc.

so im confused what can i give him to chomp away on and what can i not. is he okay to have the odd bit of cake or chocolate ? please give me some ideas as he is board of the usual bits like cheese,bread etc...thanks in advance :hug:

any cooked vegetables which are soft like carrots. brocooli, parsnip, potato, broad beans, runner beans, sweetcorn, cauliflower, swede, ANYTHING like that :)
same with fruit. you can cook an apple to soften it, core it and let him eat it. Its like surreed apple then just not as sloppy but not hard either, grapes chopped up , banana (careful they stain bad), mango, pineapple.

meat wise he can eat anything which is cooked slowly so that its tender - like lamb, chicken, beef, etc.

oh and cucumbers a good one too! :)

hope this helps.

I can't add to the above lists really.

As long as it doesn't contain nuts, alcohol, salt or natural honey, Stanley has it! :lol:

I think a lot of babies will appear to gag in the earlier stages, while they get used to eating. Bear with it and keep offering.

Stanley's been chewing away without problems for months now. I have friends who still spoonfeed their babies every meal and they can't believe how easy it is this way :D

honey is good!!! as minxy has said

try and get some local honey so that it helps his immunity.
luckily i have my very own honey for my kids - :)

Yes basically you can offer them more of less the same as you eat, Otis only eats finger foods and has been doing so since he was about 6/7 months. Yo ucould also make mini chicken/lamb/beef burgers, potato croquettes.
Re the honey I have read that you are suppose to wait till your LO's are 1 year cause of something in the honey that can be dangerous for them so you may want to check that out before giving it to them.
Oh yes re your LO's not eating bread, have you tried lightly toasting it?
Good luck!

Arianna will eat anything!!

Bread sticks, rice cakes, toast, fruit and veg, chicken..... anything. I just started to cut everything in to strips so she can lift it easily. Finger food helps their pincer grip/coordination to as Arianna can pic up little things like peas or sweetcorn to eat now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back