• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Family history quesions

heidi-hi

Reaction score
Now... i seen my midwife early on when i got my BFP but my 'official' first midwife appointment is this Friday. When i saw her last she said she would need a bit of background on mine and OH family history. When i asked her what kind of things she said 'oh just things like twins and stuff'.

Can anyone remember what other of these type questions she might ask, i have my mum coming with me for our history side of things, as OH cant make it back from course hes on and i want to ask his mum and sis so i can make some notes before i go!! Thanks xxx

She asked us about the general health of our relatives so things like any diabetes, heart problems etc. My Mum was born with a diformed hip which Doctor's missed back in the 50's and it seems to run in girls in the family so I told her about that for when the baby is born. She also asked if either of us had any babies born with disabilities on either side of the family. It's really just general health issues they ask about.

Hope that helped :)

xxx

Yeah that definitely helped, thanks! Bit worried though, many heart problems in my family, and my mum has a pacemaker. Also history of diabetes. My mum got the one u get in pregnancy too.

Just gonna stay positive and give her as much info as possible so they can look out for baby better!

Thanks again xxxxx

hiya

here is what i was asked as per the questions on my maternity notes (which she will leave with you when she goes):

Do you / Have you had:

asthma or chest problems
back probems
depression
other mental health problems
diabetes
epilepsy
fertitlity problems
genital infections
heart problems
high blood pressure
kidney or urinary problems
liver disease or hepatitis
thrombosis
blood clots
thyroid problems
other eg. mrsa
operations
problems with anaesthetics
blood transfusions
medication in the last 6 months
have you taken folic acid
vaginal bleeding in this pregnancy
LAST CERVICAL SMEAR
have you smoked in the last 12 months
how much alcohol you consume
any allergies

then FAMILY HISTORY for both sides:
diabetes
thrombosis
high blood pressure
hip problems from birth
mental illness
any disease that runs in families
need for genetic counselling
stillbirths or miscarriages
learning difficulties
hearing/vision loss from childhood
abnormalities from birth
heart defects

also if i had any idea on what sort of birth i would like this time (but don't worry if you haven't even thought about this yet - likewise with breast-feeding!)

she asked what mine and my husbands jobs are too and about my first pregnancy and birth.

Don't worry - it looks like a massive list but for most of these you will just say "no"... er "no"... "no"... er "no"! but it is good that they are trying to find out anything at all that you might need to be aware of throughout the pregnancy and birth. it is good to be prepared with things like the date of your last smear (you can ring your docs for this)... and they also asked me if i had all my vaccinations at school - in particular rubella (these should also be listed with your doc).

hope your midwife is lovely and it all goes well - i thought it all felt a bit "real" when she arrived and started asking all these questions! and write down any questions you have for her too - about the hospital, the birth, foods you can eat - whatever you can think of!

good luck and let us know how it goes x x x

Wow what a list! Im copying that into word and printing right now! She called earlier and moved appointment back... AN HOUR! How dare she!!! Haha only joking, i just wanna go now! XXXX

try not to be too worried by the questions - the more they ask, the better they will be able to look after you and baby!

Any questions that you do answer yes to it will help ensure that you are getting the right level of care - much better they ask too much than not enough! hope you found the list helpful and not too scary - it seems much less when the midwife just sits there reeling them off! Your midwife may not have the same questions as i had but mention anything that YOU know about that she doesn't bring up.

I haven't got a history of diabetes but because my bmi is over 30 i have been offered an "extra" blood test to check for it between 26-28 weeks. i was more than happy that they recomended this as it is just another example of checking something that I may be at risk of to ensure the safety of mum and baby.

good luck and i hope it goes really well - i'm sure it will be fine x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back