• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

expressing/milk colour

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
i know theres a sticky for expressing, but just few quick things..

going to do some crimbo shopping tomorrow, and Oh's parents want to have oliver, i'm reluctant as it'd be for about 6hours, but they insist, and OH wants to let them have him for day..

Expressing:- I cant seem to express enough for one feed let alone 2/3...
ay suggestions idea's? i'm using avent isis, also tried by hand, when i've expressed once before i got 7oz in one go?

also my milk colour has changed? its tinted yellow/orangy? the b/f councillor did ask if it has as i've has mastitus/thrush (still got thrush) but i hadnt noticed so said no? not i can see it properly it has? any ideas? xx

apparently some foods can change your milk colour, have you been eating lots of ornage foods lol. Mine is usually blue but I have had a yellow tinge to it as well.

As for getting more out, its again the old supply and demand thing. If you want to regularly express then express the same time each day and you will soon find your supply gets better - or you could express off the other boob when feeding - I always seemed to get better amounts out then. I would just express as much as you can then combine it all for a feed.

hon, 6 hours is a v long time to leave him when he's still so tiny, especially if you're not going to be able to express enough for that amount of time... :think: :think: you also need to bear in mind that not feeding for 6 hours could also have a detrimental effect on your supply (my boobs used to feel like they were about to burst if connor didn't feed for more than a couple of hours :lol: )

i'd be inclined to tell your OH's parents to naff off TBH!!

as beanie says, the best way to increase your expressed milk is to do it at the same time every day. which doesn't really help as far as getting enough out for tomorrow... i wouldn't worry about the colour of your milk though, its probably a residual effect of your mastitis/thrush and won't be of any consequence.

re tomorrow, i think you probably ought to take oliver with you. or just go out for a couple of hours, rather than 6... good luck whatever you decide!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

purple13 said:
hon, 6 hours is a v long time to leave him when he's still so tiny, especially if you're not going to be able to express enough for that amount of time... :think: :think: you also need to bear in mind that not feeding for 6 hours could also have a detrimental effect on your supply (my boobs used to feel like they were about to burst if connor didn't feed for more than a couple of hours :lol: )

i'd be inclined to tell your OH's parents to naff off TBH!!

as beanie says, the best way to increase your expressed milk is to do it at the same time every day. which doesn't really help as far as getting enough out for tomorrow... i wouldn't worry about the colour of your milk though, its probably a residual effect of your mastitis/thrush and won't be of any consequence.

re tomorrow, i think you probably ought to take oliver with you. or just go out for a couple of hours, rather than 6... good luck whatever you decide!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks for replies girls..

i dont want to leave him that long either :'( his Step mum is very pushy, and keeps asking for him over night, i explained this isnt possible, so she insists in day, she asked 10-4.. i'm to shy to say no as she helped alot with buying things for LO but end of day he/my milk supply comes first hehe..

i have been out in evening once without him for 3 hrs, and my boobs were soooo sore. So expecially after mastitus this is not wise.. your right girls, i need to put my foot down and say no.. :)

xxx

You've been through so much recently Charlotte, that its just not worth risking a supply issue over in my opinion. Your step-mum can be as pushy as she likes, but please remember he's your baby and you're IN CHARGE. You are breastfeeding and like it or not, she's going to have to learn that this means she can't have him without you being there for a good long time yet (probably until he's well established on solids).

I'd be tempted to go from 10am til 1pm (or whatever suits around his feeds) - 3 hours is plenty at his age. I'll bet you'll be aching (in more ways than one) to get back to him after a couple of hours. Is he taking a bottle well?

Let us know what you decide to do.

Valentine Xxx

regardless of the expresing stuff, if you feel uncomfortable with them having the wee one just say no. Isla is 20 weeks on Sunday and no-one has had her!

its OH step mum, lil one has had bottle few times and is fine(expressed) i personally cant tand shopping when its busy, but OH wants to go into town, which is an 40 min jorney, shopping for few hrs return jorney, i think he should go on his own lol.. i cant afford christmas anyway (tax credits think taking 6+ plus is acceptable) :'( so ive no money to spend, it was to get gifts for pple who've bought LO things etc..

secretly i love b/f because it gives me an excuse to say no :) xx

charlotteheys85 said:
secretly i love b/f because it gives me an excuse to say no :) xx

I secretly loved this too - keeping my baby ALL to myself - MWWWHHHHAAAHHH!

Xxx

i agree girly she cant demand nothing ! Say ssorry my boobies my baby naff off :D :D

I'm with the others. Tell your in laws you are not leaving him for 6 hours because of BF'ing.

Its really not worth the problems it can/will cause, especially if you've had mastitis in the past already. Your MIL needs to understand that breastfeeding means your LO cannot be away from you for more than a couple of hours. I think you need to put your foot down now and make it clear so as to prevent problems in the future.

I had similar with my MIL wanting to look after LO and telling us to go out for an evening or day. Fortunately I could express off a lot in the early weeks and so it was never an issue to leave him for a few hours with expressed feeds. However, I hated leaving him so usually decided against going out for longer than a couple of hours.

hi hun its totally up 2 u, but as oliver is still tiny and your havin a few probs bf personally i wouldent cud really mess up things... ur boobs will hurt like hell leaving him 4 that long.
also i think u have left it 2 late 4 expressin anyways

just say thanks but no thanks 2 MIL she shud understand xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back