Experiences with Midwives?

Ruby Carter

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a student midwife doing an assignment on the midwifery support you value or need. What do you expect from a midwife, what do you value from your midwife and feel free to share any stories. I would greatly appreciate this!! <3

Aside from getting the baby out safely, I would expect a midwife to listen to my wishes and understand that not everyone is the same re. pain. Unfortunately two of mine tried to pressure me into things I didn't want in labour. When I was induced I was told by two midwives that things I found really painful (the bulb, and having my waters broken) had "never hurt anyone else".

I will let you know when I meet mine next week. I’m autistic so I’m worried at the moment that I won’t be listened to when I explain that there are certain things I can’t do (use telephones for example) and that not being in control of a situation makes me more anxious that a neurotypical person.

With my first I had the worst time at the hospital, most midwives were agreeable but some were rude. Without my consent, they gave my daughter formula and rolled in the pump as soon as I got into my room. I was forced to wake my daughter up every 3 hours to try breastfeeding, give formula, then pump for 45 minutes. I had no rest, and felt very overwhelmed. One midwife told me I was not doing my daughter any favours trying to breastfeed while she didn't have a good suction reflect yet. Another one told me that my daughter was crying a lot because she was going hungry since I could barely produce milk. Not only was I exhausted after not sleeping for 2 days, their arrogance was enough to make me cry. I have a thick skin but that was just horrible. They made me feel like I could not take care of my child while I wanted nothing more than to be able to feed her. I think it's important for midwives to give new mothers confidence in their caring abilities.

With my second, I had a very good experience with my midwife. I didn't want to give birth in a hospital this time and got in touch with a birthing center instead. I had a good bond with my midwife and she supported me from the beginning to the end.
She asked me what I wanted to do feeding wise and told her I wanted to try breastfeeding. She gave me tips and tricks to get it right from the start. She also told me to avoid pumping or adding formula. She never forced me to wake my baby up for feedings saying a baby should sleep when it's sleepy and will eat when it's hungry.

I could call her whenever I had a question and in the postpartum period, all was well followed up by other midwives from the birthing center.

I think it's important to have one point of reference instead of different midwives during your pregnancy. The birth will be so much relaxed when someone you trust is by your side.

I´d expect i am listened to and get good advice and suggestions. Also, some women are very stressed when pregnant, so midwife must be very patient and attentive.

I agree with previous commenters. I expect my thoughts to be heard, that decisions will not be made without my consent

Hello, I'm a student midwife doing an assignment on the midwifery support you value or need. What do you expect from a midwife, what do you value from your midwife and feel free to share any stories. I would greatly appreciate this!! <3
It's relevant for me too, thank you for sharing your experience! I'm facing challenges with my writing abilities, causing me to feel unsure about meeting assignment deadlines. Usually, I depend on a service to help me with preparations. However, I've recently taken the initiative to write my online nursing paper, aiming to produce outstanding work and earn a top grade. Nonetheless, I'm motivated to improve my writing skills to eventually handle assignments on my own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back