• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Evening primrose oil

LaurenMM

Reaction score
Hi girls,

As many of you probably saw my thread yesterday... I'm booked for an induction on the 10th if I dont go into labour before then. I know this is still quite a long time away and seems like plenty of time for me to go but I really really wanna avoid it if poss. My cervix was checked yesterday and its still closed and I've heard inserting an EPO capsule into foof will ripen the cervix and possibly kick start labour? Does anyone know anymore details on this? And any success stories? Thanks girls. xx.

I have heard of it before ..... It must have been from someone on here but can't think who xx

I think I saw in labour + birth someones story where they'd used EPO and it worked for them... cant remember who either lol xx

If you can insert it with a pin prick in the top (so the EPO can come out) then it can help soften the cervix, but only if it is already ripe. It wont do anything if your cervix isn't already ready, it just gives it a helping hand :) I didn't try it with my LO but if I have another Ill be trying this. I think my midwife mentioned it to me actually but it was a while ago so I can't remember.

hi its in that home remedy submissions thread hun,iv been reading it and its got me very curious too as id never heard of it xxx

Do it when u go to bed, put a pin prick in the top and wear a sanitary pad :)

Thanks girls :) Might go get some tonight, cant hurt to try it :p hope ur all ok xxx

I'm just researching natural labour induction methods online and making some notes for when i'm ready to give them a try. Does anyone know how far up you need to put the capsule?

I think as far back as you can manage. I read somewhere that if you can massage the oil into your cervix its even better, assuming you can reach it obviously lol. I put one in this morning and I dont think I could reach my actual cervix so I just pushed it up as far as I could lol. Definitely wear a pad though! x

Evening primrose oil is a less invasive method of triggering labor, so it can be used earlier in the pregnancy than some other methods. As soon as 34 weeks, evening primrose oil can be taken orally. It is generally recommended to take two 500mg capsules a day until 38 weeks. At that time usage can be increased to 3-4 capsules per day. An entire capsule can also be inserted vaginally. It is best to do this before bed, so the capsule can dissolve while you sleep. You can also use the oil during perineal massage, and massage it on the cervix as well. Applying the oil directly to the cervix will produce the best results, but the ingredients in evening primrose oil can also be absorbed through the external skin or stomach.

Sounds good to me and worth a try....will buy some capsules to start on Monday as I'll be 34 weeks then :) xx

thanks lauren i just got some today and have swallowed 4 and will 'insert' the other 2 later. let me know how it goes for you and if you notice any side effects. have you tried anything else like clary sage, nipple stimulation etc?

i had a positive outcome with evening primrose oil :) i took swallowed 1-2 a day and also inserted one up my foof at night, i started it on the friday and had my baby on the monday morning... :)

just another thing i took the 1st one friday evening and woke up saturday a huge increase of plug loss, so i think it defo helped my cervix

he came on his due date :) so was 39 + 4 when i took the 1st tablet.

thanks lauren i just got some today and have swallowed 4 and will 'insert' the other 2 later. let me know how it goes for you and if you notice any side effects. have you tried anything else like clary sage, nipple stimulation etc?

No worries hun :) I've taken 4 today and gonna insert one later too. Only swallowed two yesterday and put two up foof (one first thing in the morning and one before I went to bed). I have noticed my BH have increased alot so FX!! I have tried clary sage oil (inhaling, rubbing onto bump with a carrier oil and bathing in it) and its done absolutely nothing but send me to sleep lol. I have actually tried the nipple stimulation (I got OH to do it cuz I felt weird doing it myself lol) and it did bring on very powerful BH but stopped soon after - I did read somewhere though that it only helps bring on labour when you've already started to dilate (I think?!) so that would explain why it didnt work for me!! If you find any other methods let me know and I'll do the same hehe xxx

hows it going with the evening primrose oil Lauren? my contractions have increased and my midwife said my cervix has changed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back