Essex Mums - Hospital Advice

Guadagnia

Reaction score
Hi ..
Im new to Essex and expecting my second child Dec, I have been given the choice of St Peters Hopsital in Maldon, or Broomfileld Hospital in Chelmsford.

My first child was more or less a problematic birth with a 3 hour labour and ventouse extraction, so the next one could be quick... :D

Any advice good or bad would be appreciated.

Guadagnia

i had alice in southend, so i don't have any personal experience... but im pretty sure my mate gave birth in Broomfileld :think: il drop her a text and see if she did what she thought of it (although he is approaching 3 now :) )

hey im from colchester so gave birth here but id have thought chelmsford would have been better

turns out i got the completely wrong hospital :doh:

i would ask to go and have a walk around both hospitals.

Sam&Alice said:
turns out i got the completely wrong hospital :doh:

i would ask to go and have a walk around both hospitals.

I agree with Sam, if you're unsure have a look round both, that way you can make your own decision

I believe Broomfield Hospital's maternity unit is located at St. John's Hospital in Chelmsford. I have read this on a website about the NHS. Have a look:-

http://www.meht.nhs.uk/trust/trust_intro.htm

I had my first son at St. John's back in 1990. I cannot fault the treatment I received there. I was an in-patient in the Ante-Natal ward for 4 1/2 weeks before I had my son by elective c-section (due to pre-eclampsic toxaemia). After the section I stayed in St. John's post natal ward for another week and a half. (I think the stay is shorter now though).

I was offered the choice of 3 hospitals from my GP, Harold Wood (which is now closed and the maternity moved to Romford), Broomfield or Basildon.

If I had known Broomfield Hospital's maternity was at St.John's earlier I might have chosen to go back there again. However, I didn't know when I was given the choice. I thought I'd have to travel to Broomfield (which is quite a way from me) for ante natal appts and I needed to have a hospital which did Nuchal scans at 13 weeks due to my age. That gave me the choice of Queens or Basildon. So I opted for Basildon Hospital.

Basildon has also been excellent for my ante natal care. I've had very good monitoring and when I've needed additional tests I got them almost straight away. I certainly have no complaints (so far).

I don't have any knowledge of St. Peters at Maldon sorry. It's a good idea to ask around for experiences from other mums. Maybe your GP's might be able to give you some help? Or ask if you can have a look round the hospital. Aside from that you could just pick the nearest hospital or the one who offers the best testing facilities etc.

I hope this helps. :hug:

Sabrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back