Erratic naps during the day

maybebaby

Reaction score
Grr Austin seems to be trying to drop his daytime nap and I'm sure he's too young. I'm worried he doesn't sleep enough as it is let alone not sleep during the day!

He used to sleep once in the morning for about an hour, then again in the afternoon, but he dropped one sleep just before his birthday and tends to sleep in the afternoon now. He does occasionally drop off in the morning instead but then he won't sleep in the afternoon.

This past week has been really erratic and I'm really at my wit's end with him.

Monday - I worked in the morning so MIL looked after him, he fell asleep at about 11 in the car on the way home, and slept until nearly 1pm. He then went to bed as normal at 8.30pm and slept until 6.30am. (total sleep 12 hours)

Tuesday - he slept 3pm - 4.30pm. This is pretty standard, he then went 8.30pm - 6.30 am overnight. (total sleep 11.5 hours)

Wednesday - argh! He refused to sleep all day despite being tired. I tried everything to get him to go off - we went for a walk with him in the buggy, I gave him milk, I cuddled him, I put him in his cot and ignored him... nothing. He ended up going to bed at 7pm absolutely exhausted and whingy, and slept until 6am (he woke up briefly at 5am but went back to sleep). (total sleep 11 hours)

Thursday - he slept 4-5pm. I don't really like him sleeping that late but he wouldn't go off any earlier & still slept 8.30pm - 6.30am overnight. (total sleep 11 hours)

Friday - I was out for most of the day but he usually sleeps in the buggy no problem. Not yesterday! Again he absolutely refused to sleep. I got home at about 5.15pm and he sat on OH's lap and went to sleep. We woke him up after half an hour but he wasn't happy about it. He was a little bit late into bed (9pmish) because I was out babysitting and OH was left to put him to bed. He woke up at 6.30 this morning. (total sleep about 10 hours)

Sorry for a mammoth post but am I right in thinking he should sleeping more than this? Any ideas how I can get him to sleep more? I can't really have a strict routine like putting him in his cot at a certain time of day because I work 2 days a week and the other days we do different activities at different times.

it sounds very frustrating, its awful when they get overtired too and then it makes it harder to put them down at all.

we are a bit like you no 2 days are the same but i try to plan my day a bit around getting luke to sleep around the middle of the day normally from 1pm after his dinner so he won't wake up hungry, its difficult to give advice on this as everyone and every child is different. like us some need more sleep than others.

sorry just realised that is no help at all, i do sympathise though :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back