Engagement

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
Hi girls :wave: I went to the doctors yesterday due to yet another water infection :roll:
Whilst I was there he felt my bump and where LO is (he was pressing so hard I thought I'd burst!) and he said LO is slightly engaged :shock: I know that it goes up in 5ths and starts at one so does that mean they are 1/5th engaged? And I'm sorry to be a bit thick :oops: But what does engaged actually mean?! Is it when LO's head is sort of locked in the pelvis ready to move down the birth canal?? I haven't got a clue! :oops: :oops:

Yeh when baby starts to move down the pelvis it becomes "engaged" though he/she can still move back out if they feel like it lol though most dont!
Heres a pic of different stages of engagement! lol

normal4.gif

It shows you 5/5 and 2/5 for examples!

The engagement means how much of the babies head can be felt above your pelvis so for example when the babies head is free that is 5/5, then as the head has just engaged then you can only feel 4/5's then when they baby is in there good and proper then thats 1/5.
Hope that helps x

Ohh, good work on the picture. I didn't realise 2/5ths was so close! I feel more like 1/5th after today though, my lower tum's aching!

Just had a look at my notes and my appointment before last he was 3/5 engaged and last appointment he was 5/5 engaged so it shows they dont always stay there lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back