Emily Charlotte Potter - 28th Jan 2009 7lb 11oz 7.28am

zedandbee

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I dont post on here very often but wanted to share my birth story of my beautiful baby girl. :) Sorry its a bit long!!

26th Jan (7 days overdue) I had a sweep & midwife said I was 1cm dilated - she also sent me up the hospital as she was concerned that LOs heartbeat kept dipping. I was monitored for over 1 hour kept getting lots of braxton hicks throughout & the midwife said I wouldnt last until my induction on Thursday & would be having LO very soon. She assured me the heartbeat was fine and I was sent home.

27th Jan Woke up at 2.50am with contractions coming every 5 minutes or so and lasting 20 seconds I phoned the hospital & they said it sounds like my cervix is begining to thin out but could take a while so wait until the contractions are lasting about 1 minute long or if my waters go then to phone back.

I had cramps and tightenings all day on the tuesday & they were gradually getting longer lasting about 45 seconds at a time, by 5pm I had had enough & went up the hospital. ( at this point i should mention that I chose my mum as my birth partner as my OH is not the best in hospitals :roll: He fainted at the birth of his son & daughter &from a previous relationship...although he agreed to be there with me and mum)

I was examined by the midwife who said I was only 2cm dilated & I could either hang about & see if things progress or go home - she suggested that I go home but then went on to tell me that she sent another lady home the day before who was the same as me & she then had to call an ambulance as she had her baby at home within the hour :shock: :shock:

We walked round the hospital for a bit & went to get something to eat but eventually went home, I had a few baths to try & ease the pain and then by midnight we went back to the hospital as by now the pains were even worse, midwife let me try the Gas & Air for the first time OMG that stuff is amazing I felt completely out of it & when she examined me I was 6cm :dance:

I then got into the birthing pool which was so nice and relaxing, everytime I got a contraction I lent over the side of the pool and breathed deeply on the gas & air but didnt realise that as I was exhaling I was moaning incredibly load much to my mums and OHs amusement :lol: ( I dont remember much of this!!) I stayed in the pool until approx 5am and throughout this time my OH climbed up on the bed in the room and managed to fall asleep throughout my contractions and was snoring loudly :evil: I asked mum to get me some water & she proceeded to knock the water jug flying which then woke my OH up with a shock :lol:

At 5am I got out of the pool and they examined me I was 9cm they had to break my waters and I was then allowed back in the pool, I stayed in the pool until approx 6.20am by which time I was exhausted, so I got out again and because I kept tensing up they had to put my legs in stirrups & told me to push they then realised that when I was in the pool I had been pushing in the wrong direction?? I tried pushing again but kept getting cramp in both of my legs whilst still in the stirrups :wall: The babys head kept going in and out the midwife kept telling me to push, I kept pushing and it was the hardest thing I have ever done both physically and emotionally.

It was at this point that the midwife advised that I would need a ventouse delivery and also I would need an epistomy I then started to feel the most intense burning stretching & stinging sensation,I screamed in pain & had got it into my head that it was the midwife cutting me that caused the pain but I found out afterwards that the pain was the babys head crowining & when they cut me there was an immediate release of pain and my baby was then pulled out of me. The told me I had a girl which I couldnt believe as everyone was convinced we were having a boy, she was placed on my chest and started feeding straight away.

I am gutted that I didnt have the waterbirth I had hoped for but also very proud that I did it on Gas and Air only. I owe everything to my mum she was amazing throughout the whole experience and I couldnt have done it without her.

My OH is besotted with our little girl and has been fantastic doing all the cooking washing cleaning etc.

I love being a mummy and adore my baby girl, I spend hours just gazing at her,and a few times have ended up in tears of total joy and happiness, nothing prepares you for the feelings of love you have for your baby.

Here is a photo of our princess.

zedandbee said:
Hi Ladies

I dont post on here very often but wanted to share my birth story of my beautiful baby girl. :) Sorry its a bit long!!

26th Jan (7 days overdue) I had a sweep & midwife said I was 1cm dilated - she also sent me up the hospital as she was concerned that LOs heartbeat kept dipping. I was monitored for over 1 hour kept getting lots of braxton hicks throughout & the midwife said I wouldnt last until my induction on Thursday & would be having LO very soon. She assured me the heartbeat was fine and I was sent home.

27th Jan Woke up at 2.50am with contractions coming every 5 minutes or so and lasting 20 seconds I phoned the hospital & they said it sounds like my cervix is begining to thin out but could take a while so wait until the contractions are lasting about 1 minute long or if my waters go then to phone back.

I had cramps and tightenings all day on the tuesday & they were gradually getting longer lasting about 45 seconds at a time, by 5pm I had had enough & went up the hospital. ( at this point i should mention that I chose my mum as my birth partner as my OH is not the best in hospitals :roll: He fainted at the birth of his son & daughter &from a previous relationship...although he agreed to be there with me and mum)

I was examined by the midwife who said I was only 2cm dilated & I could either hang about & see if things progress or go home - she suggested that I go home but then went on to tell me that she sent another lady home the day before who was the same as me & she then had to call an ambulance as she had her baby at home within the hour :shock: :shock:

We walked round the hospital for a bit & went to get something to eat but eventually went home, I had a few baths to try & ease the pain and then by midnight we went back to the hospital as by now the pains were even worse, midwife let me try the Gas & Air for the first time OMG that stuff is amazing I felt completely out of it & when she examined me I was 6cm :dance:

I then got into the birthing pool which was so nice and relaxing, everytime I got a contraction I lent over the side of the pool and breathed deeply on the gas & air but didnt realise that as I was exhaling I was moaning incredibly load much to my mums and OHs amusement :lol: ( I dont remember much of this!!) I stayed in the pool until approx 5am and throughout this time my OH climbed up on the bed in the room and managed to fall asleep throughout my contractions and was snoring loudly :evil: I asked mum to get me some water & she proceeded to knock the water jug flying which then woke my OH up with a shock :lol:

At 5am I got out of the pool and they examined me I was 9cm they had to break my waters and I was then allowed back in the pool, I stayed in the pool until approx 6.20am by which time I was exhausted, so I got out again and because I kept tensing up they had to put my legs in stirrups & told me to push they then realised that when I was in the pool I had been pushing in the wrong direction?? I tried pushing again but kept getting cramp in both of my legs whilst still in the stirrups :wall: The babys head kept going in and out the midwife kept telling me to push, I kept pushing and it was the hardest thing I have ever done both physically and emotionally.

It was at this point that the midwife advised that I would need a ventouse delivery and also I would need an epistomy I then started to feel the most intense burning stretching & stinging sensation,I screamed in pain & had got it into my head that it was the midwife cutting me that caused the pain but I found out afterwards that the pain was the babys head crowining & when they cut me there was an immediate release of pain and my baby was then pulled out of me. The told me I had a girl which I couldnt believe as everyone was convinced we were having a boy, she was placed on my chest and started feeding straight away.

I am gutted that I didnt have the waterbirth I had hoped for but also very proud that I did it on Gas and Air only. I owe everything to my mum she was amazing throughout the whole experience and I couldnt have done it without her.

My OH is besotted with our little girl and has been fantastic doing all the cooking washing cleaning etc.

I love being a mummy and adore my baby girl, I spend hours just gazing at her,and a few times have ended up in tears of total joy and happiness, nothing prepares you for the feelings of love you have for your baby.

Here is a photo of our princess.

Well you could have pushed a bit harder and had her a day earloer on my birthday :shakehead: - but i suppose its the nearest anyone on the forums had a baby to my big day so THANKYOU!!! She has the same fisrt and middle name as my eldest daughter too. Thanks!!!

Congratulations!!! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back