Amelia Grace Eireann O'Hara- 8pound2oz on 9th jan 40+12

christmasbabygirl

Reaction score
Birth story of Amelia Grace Eireann O’Hara

Natural Delivery on Friday 9th January
12 days overdue
With help from Gas and Air and Pethadine
Weighing 8 pounds 2 ounces

Well on Tuesday 6th Jan(9 days past my due date) it kicked off with niggling back pain and irregular pains and I started to loose my plug.
I went to the Birth Centre on Wednesday morning when the pains hadn’t eased up and had kept me awake all night!! They examined me and told me I was 1cm dilated and almost fully effaced, I was so happy the pains were doing something- even if it was happening slowly!!!

I came home and tried to keep myself occupied, packing my hospital bag and went to Tesco to get the last few bits to go in it. At 4 o clock the pain got too much and I called my partner so he came home from work. That night the contractons were more regular at 2 every 10-15 mins lasting up to 45 seconds.

On the Thursday morning we went back to the birth center where I was again examined and was told I was 3 cm and fully effaced and things were happening slowly. They thought baby had moved back to back which is why things were so slow and the pain was so intense. We were sent home as contractions were still not intense or often enough they said so there was nothing they could do.

At 6 pm we returned to the birth center to see how things were progressing. We were told by the midwife I was 4 cm dilated and things were starting to happen and I could have a shot of Pethadine. There was then a staff change and that midwife went off duty, after hours of waiting for the Pethadine the next midwife came on and told us to go home and we weren’t allowed the Pethadine! I was angry that we had waited around for ages. We sat with her for a while and she saw how intense the contractions were and timed them and I was having 3 every 10 mins and they were lasting a minute. She told me I should go to the big hospital and have the epidural which I had said I wanted.

At about midnight on Thursday my Dad took us to the big hospital in Winchester and by then the contractions were really intense. We got there and I was examined and was told I was still only 4 cm. The midwife told me to try the gas and air first before jumping into the epidural. (I don’t remember any of this, my OH told me it all lol) I tried the gas and air and loved it, it did help me to forget about the pain. I then had a shot of Pethadine about an hour later after being monitored. This made me really sleepy and delirious however I woke up at the peak of each contraction. The midwife came in and I told her I was fucked lol!! The Pethadine didn’t take the pain away at all it just made my face go numb and made me really out of it, at least my OH had something to laugh at!!

From here on everything is a bit of a blur due to the gas and air and the Pethadine!! I got into the pool, not a clue what time this was, and managed on the gas and air and there was no mention of an epidural, and I completely forgot that’s what I was there for! So I stayed in the pool which really seemed to ease the pain and every time I had a contraction I just put my arms round the midwives waist and squeezed her the poor woman! And OH rubbed my back which was amazing also, he was so great!!! My midwife Debbie was also brilliant, and they kept sending different ones in but I demanded to have Debbie back apparently lol!!

Well the contractions were coming thick and fast and I had this HUGE pressure down below, and I felt I was ready to push. I resisted pushing for about 2 hours!!! She really could have been born a lot earlier if I had let her but I was so scared I was really trying to keep her in. by the time I was fully dilated and ready to push I was screaming for an epidural and still refusing to push. This was because I was so terrified that I was going to tear and I was just so scared it was going to hurt to much to push her out. So I was screaming for the anaesthetist and for a c sec and epi lol! This went on for 2 hours with me demanding one!! Debbie tried to kindly explain that they wouldn’t give me a c sec as nothing was wrong and she said by the time they prepped me the baby would be born. I apparently told Debbie she could just pretend and that we could do it secretly just me and her against the world lmao!! I said ill do anything debs ANYTHING!! I can get you anything you want, a house a car, iv got contacts!! (I would not be able to get her any of these things and have no such “contacts”) They also got 2 other midwives and the anaesthetist to explain this to me!! All of which I was VERY rude to lol!!!

In the end I really could no longer resist the urge to push. they were wheeling me through the corridor to a room where I could speak to another anesthetist when I had to start pushing. I felt the head crowning and I was grunting and screaming and people were just walking past! They got me into a room as quick as they could and I was up on all fours on the bed pushing my baby out. I told them that I had done it I had done it the head is out and they made me turn round so they could see, and they told my OH to have a look and he just burst into tears, I looked down and saw loads of dark hair and I have never felt so strong and powerful in my life I was like a lioness! They cut me so I didn’t teat and With one huge push and a massive grunt her body was born! They lifted her onto my bare chest and I could not breath.. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and she was ours!!! She was born at 8.34 am but it could have been much earlier! In a way im glad I resisted for so long as that is why she was out so quick!

At this point we were complete emotional wrecks. I was stitched up and had a cuddle while they did this. MY partner had a hold then went outside to call everyone. They delivered the placenta which I had the injection for and the midwife said in her 20 years of working she had never seen such a big placenta lol!!! they weighed babe and gave her vit K then my mum came in. I breastfed her and she took to it really well (we are no longer breastfeeding).I then had a shower and got cleaned up and OH sat with her while I did this. When I got out the shower he still had tears running down his face!!

We were put on the ward and then transferred back to the birth center in my hometown at 4 pm. We stayed in 2 nights and it was bliss! The midwives there are lovely and it was a lovely rest! We tried to get breastfeeding established and I gave up after 3 days, she was not getting any milk and feeding every half hour for an hour so I was not getting any sleep and after no sleep because latent labour was so long it was very hard! So on Monday morning my OH went and got some formula and I don’t regret it or feel bad- she is much more content!!

Sorry it is so long but im glad to share my birth story with you all!! It was the happiest moment of my life when she was born and as I watch her sleeping now, I realise that she is worth all of that pain and trauma. I am really proud of myself and my body for going through all that! I really didn’t think id be able to do it. I am very glad I didn’t have a c sec though as the woman on the ward with me when I was transferred sounded in a lot of pain so those of you who go through that are bloody heroes too!! Hope you enjoyed reading and sorry to babble!! xx

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0065.jpg

Congratulations hun! Your story made me laugh as i also had gas and air and pethedine and i remember saying "i feel hammered!" Was bloody brilliant stuff!

Claire x

Love your story, and your daughters name!

Congrats to you and OH on your new arrival! :cheer:

I loved reading your story! You made me laugh when you said you had contacts and could get the M/W a car or house!! You did fantastic, well done. Huge congratulations on your baby girl, she is beautiful :hug:

christmasbabygirl said:
have never felt so strong and powerful in my life I was like a lioness! They cut me so I didn’t teat and With one huge push and a massive grunt her body was born! They lifted her onto my bare chest and I could not breath.. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and she was ours!!!

Congratulations!! What I have quoted made me well up! Don't make me cry missus!!

She's lovely hun! Enjoy her!

Kim x x x x x x x

She's such a poppet - p'd myself laughing reading your story, particularly the bartering with midwives :rotfl:

Congratulations hun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back