Electric heating!

missyeovil

Reaction score
Hey. Was looking for some advice about the cost of electric heating...

We live in a council house and we have been given the option of having the house reheated while they are rewiring. At present we have coal central heating, which is fine - not too expensive, but it's a pain as we are constantly having to tend to the fire and clean it out and frankly - it is so dirty I cannot be doing with it anymore!

Our two options are electric storage heaters on economy 7, or an electric wet system on economy 10. Everyone that we have asked has done nothing but tell us that wet systems are expensive because a friend of a friend has it. However, we are also hearing reports of electric bills with storage heaters which are at least £10 a week more than what we are paying for coal + electricity.

My dad is a plumber and he says 100% we should choose the wet system - he's convinced that if you use it properly and on the economy tariff properly it shouldn't be anymore expensive than the storage heaters would be - and the only reason it would become anymore expensive is because we would have the option to put the heating on outwith the economy times if it was really cold.

I am swaying towards the wet system because we have a baby due in 3 weeks and I think the flexibility would be worth a slight price hike. However, with storage heaters, we could also be paying extra money to use the fan setting and still not getting the house properly warm. Also, we don't have a tumble drier at the moment because we can use radiators to dry clothes as well as clothes horses. Storage heaters obviously we cannot hang laundry over the top so I can see no other way to keep on top of the washing in the winter but to invest in a tumble drier as well if we have storage heaters, which will obviously impact on our electricity bill further.

Has anyone had any experience of either system - preferably both(!) who could shed some light on this matter?

Thanks in advance!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back