early scan,Just a small sac, No heartbeat, Is it normal?

donandjon

Reaction score
Hi, I was rushed into hospital on Friday with suspected ectopic pregnancy.
I was scanned on Saturday, I am 6 weeks pregnant but all that was seen was a dark sac with no visible heartbeat.
I am petrified, Got another scan in 11 days. :(
Is this normal ? Is it too early to detect a heartbeat??
Donna

What did they tell you at the hospital?

They must feel that there is a likelyhood its too early or they wouldn't have asked you to come back.

Hope it goes well. x

Do you know for definite that you're 6 weeks? Maybe you got the dates wrong, if thats the case then it was probably too early to see a heartbeat.

I hope your next scan brings good news, I wont say try and relax cos 11 days must be agonising to have to sit and wait but try and stay positive and keep an open mind.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :hug:

Some peole don't get to see a heartbeat till a bit later on hun, try not to worry :hug:

Thanks guys for all the words of comfort.
Been doing some research and it seems that although I am 6 weeks and 1 day from my last period I might not of ovulated on time because my periods were between 30 and 32 days.
That would make ovulation later and therefor my date is approx 5 weeks 5 days.
At this stage the heartbeat would not be visible.
I am feeling a bit better about things now.
Thanks Again. :hug:

MY NEW DATES V

Hello donandjon,

I had a scan at 5weeks 5days, and the nurse specifically told me that they may NOT be able to see the heartbeat so if it couldn't be seen it didn't necessarily mean it wasn't there, and as she scans babies all the time, I certainly believed her :)

Hope the times flies you to good news donandjon :)
Very Best Wishes!!
x

Did you have an abdominal scan or an internal scan ?

Internal scans are much better for seeing more detail BUT with women [like me] who have a retroverted uterus [tilted] it can be just as hard to see anything let alone a 6wk pregnancy !

My guess is its just too early to see anything, your dates could be out by a good week or so regardless of when you ovulated. [it can take upto 12 days for implantation to complete]

Good thing is they have been able to rule out an ectopic :) so at least you know your bean is in the right place.

Best of luck for your next check-up im sure it will be fine :)

I am feeling more optimistic now because I have been on a site which calculates your due date using your last period date and the length of your cycles. According to this my due date is 4 july not 30th june because my cycles were 30-32 days. This makes me only 5 weeks 5 days pregnant. This is why no heartbeat could be detected....
Roll on 16th November for my next scan..
Thanks for the kind words of comfort I really appreciate it.
Take Care
Donna :)

Hello myst, it was an internal scan, and I was amazed that they measured our baby and that gave the due date accordingly :)

Best wishes for the 16th November donandjon :pray:
x

Well Things just got worse!!! :(
I am now spotting after losing a clot on Tuesday morning. Been to see my GP who has advised me to have complete rest.
I am not having any abdominal pain which is a good sign but the bleeding is continual. :cry:
Luckily I have a very good partner who is doing everything for me. It is going to kill me waiting until next Thursday for my scan.
I just hope and pray that the bleeding doesn't get worse and I don't end up at A&E.
Donna

oh honey, is there no way you can get to an epu clinic today? if you explain the circumstances they may do another scan for you...bxox

Hi, Im not sure what to do, Doc said to rest and string it out until next Thursday because I had 2 internals last week and a vaginal scan and he says he does not want me messed with so soon after and so early in the pregnancy.
I haven't got a clue what to do for the best.
Donna

So sorry that you are experiencing this.

Glad that your OH is there to give you the support you need.

Get to the EPU if you are really worried.

Heather x

Hi Guys, Great news. Had scan on Monday everything is fine!!!!!!!
Single viable pregnancy at 6 weeks 6 days.
I am so relieved. Not out of woods though, still bleeding so got to take it easy.
Want to thank you all so much for the words of comfort,
Take Care
Donna xxx

Hiya congrats!

You must be so relieved after all that stress.

Take is easy!

lau
x

So glad to hear it donandjon - now make sure you take all that rest!

Valentine xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back