Early potty training?

MissThing

Reaction score
Hi girls :hug:

Has anybody done it? I have heard about the system, when you potty train basing on your LO's needs. Basically it is more in-tune method and you can start as soon as you LO sits up well (about 6 months).

I started doing it about 2 months ago, and now, whenever I put him on a potty he usually produces a wee. And sometimes he lets me know if he needs one.

In the beginning I let him run around naked, and monitored each time he had a wee. Usually he needs another one in about 20 minutes after first one. So, if I put him on a potty after 20 minutes he will have a wee. he understands whats going on and is very chuffed when I show him what he produced.

Did anybody else followed this and what was it like?

I think Daniel is doing pretty well. He has a wee in a potty and for a while managed to do a poo there as well (then I bacame lazy, but still, when I am present and see that he is ready for a poo I pop him on a potty and he does it). Of course he is still wearing nappies when we go out and when I am too lazy to watch him 100% at home (which is pretty often :lol: ).

xxx
Carina

No. I will be waiting until my los ready and lets me know when she wants too.

Good luck though Carina.

sounds like its going well!

I'm planning on waiting till finlay is ready but mainly because I'll be at work full time by the time he is your LOs age :(

Bee- yes, i think it is going quite well. Just now he was watching "In the night garden" with his daddy, after it finished, he climbed off the sofa, went up to his potty and started poking it. I quickly took his pants off sat him on a potty and he produced a wee straight away and again, was very chuffed with himself :D

I think you can put him anyways on a potty, just so he gets used "sitting" on a potty. They usually produce a wee straight after they wake up (in the morning, or after a nap), so it would be the best time to start. Thats how we did it :D

aww thats cute!

Doesn't sound too hard either :D

i am getting a potty this week just so he can see it around, my second son was dry day and night at 18 months, my daughter was about the same so i am thinking thats what i will aim for with glenn, i dont think it will be long until we start using it.

No, its not hard :) Just time consuming (like if you dont want accidents you have to watch him ALL the time.) And I am sometimes too lazy, so there are days when I am not doing this... But I think the more he gets the idea the more we should do it really. And I think that in the last couple of days he started to get it more.

My mum's friends have a little girl who is 18 months and at home she doesnt wear any nappies already! :shock: :D Of course, sometimes she has accidents, but most of the time she is fine (they started early potty training when she was 7 or 8 months old)

xrachx - wow!! well done! How did you do it?

I know it is also reccomended to use cloth training pants (so they can feel immidiate wetness straight after they wee) -we have a few of those as well. Did you use those?

xxx
Carina

Carina said:
xrachx - wow!! well done! How did you do it?

I know it is also reccomended to use cloth training pants (so they can feel immidiate wetness straight after they wee) -we have a few of those as well. Did you use those?

xxx
Carina

Yeah I have heard that cloth nappies can help with potty training - another reason for me to use cloth ;)

Carina, you have inspired me!

I went through a period in the summer where I sat DD on her potty daily, usually after tea before her bath, while she was catching up on In the Night Garden. She always peed, and I was so chuffed.

You have inspired me to do this again as if she was peeing on the potty then, you never know what she may be capable of now. She does go to the childminder for 2.5 days a week though, so maybe I'll just do it when we're at home like today for a short while and see how we go. Does Daniel still wear nappies and you just try to catch it before he pees or poos?

Well done Carina and Daniel!

Valentine Xxx

Gah! Potty training... My absolutely worst part about raising kids...

Good luck to any parent going through that stage... :D

This time round I'm putting my fingers in my ears and just wait and hope lil miss gets the idea on her own... She already giggles and points to her nappy when she farts... :lol: :lol: :lol: so she might be ok for potty training... Tia was a nightmare... :roll:

valentine said:
Carina, you have inspired me!

I went through a period in the summer where I sat DD on her potty daily, usually after tea before her bath, while she was catching up on In the Night Garden. She always peed, and I was so chuffed.

You have inspired me to do this again as if she was peeing on the potty then, you never know what she may be capable of now. She does go to the childminder for 2.5 days a week though, so maybe I'll just do it when we're at home like today for a short while and see how we go. Does Daniel still wear nappies and you just try to catch it before he pees or poos?

Well done Carina and Daniel!

Valentine Xxx

I truly believe that babies are capable of potty training much earlier then when they can properly say about it. Well done for putting Ella on a potty early. And I think, that it will be enought in the beginning if you just gonna put her on a potty when you can do that.

Nappy wearing - it depends. He always wears them when we go out and at night. During the day, it depends on how lazy I am and whether it is his daddy who is looking after him. But mostly, when I am looking after him I am trying to take the nappy off and let him run with naked bum and I am trying to catch that time before he needs a wee or a poo and put him on a potty just before (he is very good at showing signs of needing to go to the loo, like he goes quiet, and before the poo he sarts grunting. And lately, I noticed that he actually gets near to the potty and points or pokes at it. In the beginning I thought it is a coincedence, that after he does it and I put him on a potty straight away he does a wee or a poo, but now I believe that he actually knows what he is doing.)

Good luck with potty training Valentine and Ella :hug: :hug: :hug:

It is much easier for them to get used to a potty now, then when they are MUCH more too interested at what is going around and simply wont sit on a potty. Well, thats what i think :)

Thanks Carina.

I think that's my problem, is that I don't have a CLUE when DD is about to do anything, she doesn't seem to know either, which doesn't seem a good sign.

However, I think I'll dig the potty out and sit her on it daily and see what happens, you never know!

Valentine Xxx

Valentine - in the beginning you may need to allow few accidents. Just when she wees, time how long it takes her to have another wee. And the next time put her on the potty in abou the same period of time.

Also, as I said, babies tend to have a wee straight after they wake up (in the beginning I used to sit Daniel on his potty just after he had his day time nap, or straight after he woke up in the morning. Sometimes I we were lucky, sometimes not. And that was it :) )
Another timing when babies wee is about 10-15 minutes after their meal (if Daniel has more liquidy stuff its straight after he finished).

Just try some of these hun, and something will work. And just continue in the beginning with what has worked. Like if you manage to catch that weeing after sleeping-continue just with that, so Ella gets the idea of weeing in the potty. As soon as she wees, make a great fuss, like really over the top and show her what she has done and then leave it till the next time she wakes up.
I hope this makes sence. I am not very good at explaining :oops:

xxx
Carina

Valentine - I have the same problem, the first I know that LO has done a poo is when a big smell wafts around! I'd be really interested in trying this, with working 3 days it might be difficult but I'm trying to spend more time at home on my days off, rather than going to lots of groups and stuff, so it might be doable. S'pose I'll have to buy a potty and try to explain the concept to my DH!

Leese- explaining the concept to DH will be the most difficult thing :lol: :lol: :lol: Was with mine anyways :lol: :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back