dummy question

Even though we were both very against them we gave our lo a dummy when he was about 1 week old in SCBU as he was such a noisy baby that he would get all worked up and as he was small the nurses recommended that we give him a dummy as it was better than he had one than burnt off his calories by screaming. He only liked the mam dummies and then at about 3 months old he just decided he didn't want it anymore. I think it was because he couldn't put other things in his mouth if he had his dummy. He now uses a muslin for comfort, thankfully he doesn't mind which muslin and he hugs it or sucks on it when he goes to sleep

There are plenty of things that they say dummies are bad for like speech development and teeth but this is only the case if you let them continue to have it past toddler age. If they are a baby that needs comfort from sucking they will either feed on you all the time if you are breastfeeding or will find something else like their thumb or fingers to such on.

I am 26 and still struggle with sucking my thumb. As cute as it looks for a baby it is not cute as a teenager or an adult. Thankfully it is only when I am asleep or I am upset so no one else sees me do it except for my OH. As a child we tried everything to get me to stop. My mum always said she wished I had taken to a dummy as at least you can take a dummy away.

I would say be open minded and see how it goes. Don't force a dummy on them but there is no harm in them having a dummy if you do it properly and wean them off it at a reasonable age.

I really, really do not want our baby to have a dummy! However, if the baby needs something and the only thing to work is a dummy, then there could be worse things, I suppose.
I have just seen some awful results of long term dummy usage on jaws and teeth and then speech (I am a teacher) and I wouldn't forgive myself if this happened to mine.
I hope this sounds as it is meant to sound! I am not being judgemental - sometimes, dummies just work, but for us I am hoping we will not be using them. Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back