• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dry mouth

BellaRiven

Reaction score
Riven seems to be getting a dry mouth every so often, if I put my little finger in his mouth ( this seems to be a comfort thing now too) it encourages the saliva and gets wet again but why would it be dry in the first place?

I googled (bad mummy) and it says about dehydration, I'm sure this maybe possible as we are still on the two and a half hour feeds and he has nothing in between but I'm not sure how to stop it without overdosing him on milk he doesn't need and him throwing up everywhere...

It's not easy this mummy lark, I am constantly worried about him and if he is ok which I know is a good thing but I thought the worry might ease up after he was born lol, silly naive me...... :)

I never paid attention as to if LOs mouth was dry or not. Now because of teething its a fountain.
Are you getting wet nappies?

Then I think ur ok :) if u start getting crystals in the nappy then worry

Crystals look like red "brick dust" in the nappy, my l/o had this once after a 12hr sleep through :)

Your breast feeding aren't you? That's his drink and food so don't worry :)

Well breast feeding in the loosest sense of the word...he is still having my milk just via a syringe and occasionally my boob when he doesn't scream....

My son had dehydration and was readmitted after 4days as lost too much weight. He had the urates in nappy (looks like a little bit of blood type crystals, but dont worry it's not blood!) so if ur son did get them in nappy it's a sign of dehydration but don't worry too much as its an indication rather than being super serious iykwim. My son had formula top ups after being on boob till my milk came in which took about 5-6days and with a lot of pump expressing. How old is your son? How much do you manage to syringe feed?

He doesn't have any crystals have been checking every nappy.

Riven is a week and a half now, we have been formula topping up the last two days as my supply is still low even after all the pumping but we are getting there with that.

I was expressing about 4 oz but that has decreased I think because I am stressed about it, I am just about getting 70ml now....he won't take milk from my boob he just screams and when he doesn't scream and I get him to latch he latches wrong so it's made me sore but I still try him every time.

We have a weigh in today at the children's centre so I think I will ask about latching and the screaming today.

Also ask about a breast feeding support group in your area hun. Fenugreek capsules can help to improve your supply, you get them from holland and Barrett. Also drink lots of water and eat oaty foods like porridge x

I think you'd be best seeing a breastfeeding advisor at a bf group if you can. They'll have the most effective and efficient support for you.

Thanks ladies :)

Not easy this bf malarkey is it lol.....

no its hard but totally worth it once you get it sorted out.

Def think getting advice from a bf counsellor would be best, maybe you need help with getting the latch right. It took me days to get it right and weeks to feel even a little bit confident I was actually doing it right! But you've done amazing persevering so long, the first week is hardest with exhaustion and nerves looking after a new baba, get that help of you can and you'll be a pro in no time. It's definitely not easy bfeeding, I wish someone has told me that but I persevered after a horrible beginning and 14weeks later still doing it, and it is worth it. Keep trying, you have done brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back