Driving in late pregnancy?

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
My OH asked me earlier when i was planning to give up driving :shock:

I didnt know i needed to, i havnt heard this before. apparently hes had loads of ppl asking him if i have given up yet. i really really really dont want to give up driving :shakehead: :pray:

He asked what if the baby kicks when im driving (it already does but doesnt bother me) or what if i go into labour when im behind the wheel, well i guess id just make my way home or something?? :think:

can anybody enlighten me please

I drove right up til the night before i went into labour :)

I think people give up once they find it too uncomfortable or there bumps get too big...

If your concerned ask your midwife hun :hug:

i drove myself to hospital for my induction hun so dont worry

I have no intention of giving up driving until Im actually in labour!! :shock:

My bumps getting really big now but I think theres plenty of room between me and the steering wheel to last til June :D

As long as you are still comfortable, can reach all the controls, and the lap belt can tuck under your bump then there's no need to stop. :D

Hiya

You don't have to give up you can get adapters for your seat belt to make sure you and your bump are safe

I drove myself up to the hospital when i was in labour with Conal but only mild and i only had about 3 :lol:

Heather

Hi

I am still driving alhtough im only a learner , but honestly if you start to go in labour while yoru driving im sure you can make it somewhere safe (home or hospital ) before they get too strong.
Ive never heard of having to stop
Katrina

I won't drive anymore. I have it up in January actually when we changed the cars over but was just as it seemed conventient to do so at that point. A friend of mine is 36 weeks pregnant and gave up driving at 32 weeks just feeling too uncomfortable and big to be behind the wheel whilst still reaching the peddles etc. I don't think you have to stop I think it's personal preference, I know I just feel safer not driving just now, I think it's a protection thing with me though? It's personal choice not a yes/no issue, do what you feel comfortable doing :hug:

Theres no law on it, it just depends how comfortable you are. At the mo i'm finding it hard to reverse but i couldn't give up!!

I COULD DRIVE UNTILL I HAD CAMERON AT 38 WEEKS,

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS ALL DEPENDS HOW COMFORTABLE YOU ARE BEHIND THE WHEEL.. TELL OH NOT TO WORRY :hug:

A bit of thread creep, but yesterday was the last day I was legally allowed to fly an aircraft! Given the extent of my 'placenta brain' recently, it was probably for the best all round that I actually gave up flying as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I still fly the sim, but I can't easily raise or lower the landing gear from the captain's seat.

I intend to carry on driving as long as I can fit in the car. It's not really an option for me to stop, as I live down one dirt track in the middle of nowhere, and am renovating a cottage down another dirt track even further in the middle of nowhere. I want to get moved into the cottage before baby is born and if I stop physically checking the builders are there and working that won't happen. Plus there is the small matter of going out to buy food! OH thinks it grows in the cupboard.

not that i would suggest this to anyone, but my driving instructor told me last week that you can actually get an exemption from wearing your seat belt when driving if you are pregnant. from your doctor. i find it quite strange...but true!!

godbless
lisa xxxx

I drove myself to hospital the day before I had Eloise - providing you are comfortable and can fit behind the wheel and reach everything then you are fine!

lisa_davidson said:
not that i would suggest this to anyone, but my driving instructor told me last week that you can actually get an exemption from wearing your seat belt when driving if you are pregnant. from your doctor. i find it quite strange...but true!!

godbless
lisa xxxx

But you can also buy seatbelt adaptors that change the positino of your seatbelt so that it wouldn't damage baby if you were to crash and the seatbelt tightened across you.
I had a 'bump belt' thing I think it was called.

I'm gonna keep driving until I find it too uncomfortable either just being behind the wheel or when doing maneouvres.

I would hate to have to be driven everywhere. I don't like losing my independence and it's one reaosn why I hope I don't have a CS. I remember last time I was unable to drive for 6 weeks! I felt marooned. :shakehead:

lisa_davidson said:

godbless
lisa xxxx

I dont think i would actually be able to get myself to drive without wearing a seat belt, its one of those things that is ingrained into me

lisa_davidson said:

Well I had a leaflet given to me by someone which stated that you were not exempt during pregnancy and that if uncomfortable you could get an extension or guide to clip to the belt.

The dangers of not wearing a seatbelt in the event of a crash far outweigh any discomfort in my book :?

I'm with the majority - it's down to personal comfort etc. I drove until the last minute last time. I'm still driving now.

It's true your waters could break or you could go into labour, but it's uncommon for first contractions to have you doubled over in pain!

Perhaps a towel would be a good idea if your waters break??!!!

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back