downs sydrome screening

natashateale

Reaction score
So I know I am a bit late but I had first midwife appointment today, it just basically got me into the system, and took bloods. She also asked about scans. Do I just want a normal dating scan or do I want a screaning scan for downs sydrome? I have to talk to my partner about it but I wantes to know of you ladies have been offered this and if u took it? Also do they also date with the down sydrome test? X

Hi, i had this done last week. They date you and take measurements of the baby for the down syndrome screening at the same time. Then you have a blood test which tells you what your chances are of having a baby with downs. I did debate having this done but then thought id rather be prepared than having the shock of my life at te birth.x

Hiya.
I'm getting it done as there's a history of Downs in hubbys side.

I'll be having the tests at the same time as my dating scan :)

Dating scan is 12 week scan and downs test is just extra measurements they take during. Like above comment u then have bloods done. I had it done as chose that i would rather be prepared. Xx

it will be the dating scan regardless of whether or not you decide to have the Down's screening.

If you do opt for the DS test they will give you a blood test and measure the babies nuchal fold during the scan (they also look for other indicators such as nasal bone and they check the heart as DS babies can have congential heart problems)

However you can still have you scan and not be screeened!

We decided to have the screening

xxxxxxxxxx

I had my scan today but as baby was on its head couldn't screen for downs. We have now decided we would rather wait a d see

If u have the downs test they give u a fraction of the possibility of downs, then if it's in a certain range they do an invasive test to check for sure if baby has downs (this test has a risky to baby although low) we decided not to have test because could end up having invasive test and baby not have downs and doesn't seem fair to put baby at risk just to find out as we wouldn't get an abortion whatever the outcome so decided not to even bother with the measurements test, just normal dating scan. But it's a personal choice

I opted for the DS screening. If it comes up with a high chance I won't risk the invasive treatments though. But it'll be nice to be prepared a bit more for the possibility.

Also I figure if they need to take extra measurements it means we might get a bit of a longer peek at the scan. :)

Hey ladies I have optd for the test today after a long night shift at work lol. I managed to getvsome sleep but was awoken my a dream that my scan result came back as high risk but the dream was cut sort and I didnt get the bloods result. During this dream my OH said I dont think I can do it.
No I cant back to sleep :-( I am petrified that I wil come back as high risk and I dont want to ask my OH what he wud think of it dod :-(
I am so scared I dont want the scan date to come through but I know ot wud be better to know.

We talked it through before we had the screening (we had to go private in Wales cos only the blood test is offered on the NHS). We both needed to know what we would do with the results and be OK with that. If you aren't sure maybe its best not to get tested but I would strongly suggest talking it through with OH, we made the decision to go for screening together cos it affects youboth when the result comes through, and the decisions you may or may not make as a result (of if its just for information) you both need to be on the same page. :hug:

We did talk about the test and we both agreed its what we wanted but we never got round to reasons why. I supose we both are abit scared of what the other wil say

its a really hard thing to talk about, we decided to only get the test if we both wanted the same outcome. Also do remember that all they can give you is a risk factor, its not conclusive and maybe you'd both really feel the same when it came to it. unless you think there is a reason for yout o be increased lisk anyway, maybe if its causing you stress it would be better not to have the test. :hug:

Hi, I would always advise a downs syndrome scan; it is better to know the risks then ignore it. Most hopsitals do it anyway, I had one for my pregnancy and I am really glad I did. xx

They do it here in Australia anyway during your 12 week scan. It's no biggie and then you have another 6 months to prepare.

It is only a risk they can give you based on the nuchal thickness and by taking blood on the same day.
I got a call back within a couple of days saying I had a 1 in 9 risk of a cromozone issue, there are three big ones, don't forget it's not only a screening test for downs, also for pascals and Edwards Syndromes in which the outcomes are far worse than for downs. I then had a CVS test, but if your 14 weeks onwards you then can have an amnio to tell 100% accurately if you do have an issue and can get your head round it or look at your options , esp with pascals or edwards.

It was a worrying time, and luckily my baby was fine , but I didn't get out the other side of worry till 17 weeks before we could tell people I was pregnant eg my kids etc , but would have the test again everytime..

I have decided mine was due to the 12 week mmc I had just 6/8 weeks before I got pregnant again as my blood markers showed really high. Do have the convo with your OH, it needs discussing you may have the same views and be worrying for nothing

Last edited:
i wont be having one ill be requesting a normal 12 week scan

the measurements used to be taken at 20 weeks

when i had my 20 wk scan with ds3 i was told he was downs and offered an abortion AT 20 WEEKS!!!

We said no of course and guess what - he wasnt downs at all

They test for so much thease days sometimes its very overwelming

My partner said theres no point because it's not like we will do anything like an abortion, we would still be having the baby - i said id rather be prepared but today our midwife said some people get high risk and then worry the whole pregnancy about it and then the baby is fine, some people get low risk and then have a baby with down syndrome so we decided not to bother, what ever happens it doesnt matter anyway, we wouldnt do anything different if the baby had downs.x

I took it. not because I would change my mind but because I would have liked to prepare for a ds baby.

However even if you have low results like 1:10000 someone has to be that one!

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back