Down Syndrome results back :( UPDATE Pg1

Hi hun, sorry that you're going through this, I just want to echo what everyone else has said and say I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you... good luck with your scan and with whatever desicion you decide to make on having the amnio, we're all thinking of you :hug: :hug:

Hi Sara,

Have you had an actual odds calculation?

Like glittergirl, if your odds are 1/221, they are still odds I'D take!!

Just seems to me "high risk" is a scarey way to describe something that has a 1/221 chance.

Haven't been there so no particular advice.

Will be thinking about you over the next couple of weeks, my due date buddy!

Julie xxxxxx

Emma Mary 18 wk miscarriage Always Missed 02.05.08

Thank you all for your kind words and thank you those that have been through this and shared your experience, ive not been given the odds i guess they will give me that at my appointment tomorrow. We have decided against the amnio and we both agree that terminating is not an option....so we will take what we are given. Ill let you know what the hospital says tomorrow. xx

hi sara,

im actually going thru this atm. The scan showed fluid in babys neck so i was refered to cardiff to have a cvs.
We had another scan done and it showed the fluid has actually gone down, which is a very good sign.
I'm given 1/25 chance of down syndrome, we decided against the cvs, but an amnio is booked im actually thinking of not havin it done. The doctor was lovly and told me i have 95% chance of a normall baby, because the fluid went down.

Once you see the scan again, then decide wot you want to do.
Good luck hun hope all is well :hug:

I neer has the test done either because i would only worry myself sick

xxxx

I'm sorry you're going through the worry of this. I came out high risk with my first baby, through a nuchal scan result. I decided against an amnio because we wanted our child regardless of whether it was 'perfect' as society sees it (this is a purely personal opinion, and I think everyone has their own valid reasons for choosing which course of action they take in this situation). The hospital sent us for detailed scans which were all fine, though this didn't stop me worrying all the way through until our daughter was born. We refused blood tests for the next pregnancy, and again for my current pregnancy. The thing you have to remember is it is just a risk factor. You could be low risk with a one in a million chance of having a baby with Down's but you could still be that millionth person, or you could have a one in two chance of having a Down's baby and be the one with the baby without Down's. Nothing anyone can say will take the worry away completely, but it seems you and your partner are supporting each other through the worry which is great.

Be kind to yourselves in the meantime.
Take care
xxxxxxxxxx

*sara* said:
We have decided against the amnio and we both agree that terminating is not an option....so we will take what we are given. Ill let you know what the hospital says tomorrow. xx

well done hun :hug: :hug: :hug: its not an easy decision. good luck at the hosiptal

I only considerd the test because i needed to know so i could prepare, as there is a lot of knowledge out there.
I don't believe in abortions either a baby is still a baby. As they say no women is safe from these results.

jemz24 said:
hi sara,

im actually going thru this atm. The scan showed fluid in babys neck so i was refered to cardiff to have a cvs.
We had another scan done and it showed the fluid has actually gone down, which is a very good sign.
I'm given 1/25 chance of down syndrome, we decided against the cvs, but an amnio is booked im actually thinking of not havin it done. The doctor was lovly and told me i have 95% chance of a normall baby, because the fluid went down.

Once you see the scan again, then decide wot you want to do.
Good luck hun hope all is well :hug:
Thanks Jemz24, im sorry your going through this too, good news that the fluid had gone down in babys neck. Let me know how you get on if you decide to have the amnio, its a really hard decision to make, but ive decided i dont want to take the risk of loosing this baby after loosing 2 already.
jemz24 said:
I only considerd the test because i needed to know so i could prepare, as there is a lot of knowledge out there.
I don't believe in abortions either a baby is still a baby. As they say no women is safe from these results.
Im the same i dont believe in abortions and it will be my baby no matter what, just have to think positive and hope everything turns out fine.

jemz24 said:

Dont all babies have fluid in the neck?? Isnt that what they check for at 12 week scan, our babies was 3mm which was the higher end of normal. That and my bloods made my risk higher. I had the test 2 weeks ago because I wouldnt have been able to go through pregnancy without stressing myself to death, probably resulting in harming the baby and alll came back ok.

xxx

Some squeezes :hug: I wanted to say something but wasn't quite sure what to say. I hope you receive some clarification of the odds tomorrow.

Ah Sarah I am so sorry to hear that after the past events you've this to go through...

As said before though you're a tough cookie and this will only make you stronger.

Discuss it with the doctors and your midwife but like people have said... It dosent necessarily mean that anything will be up with your baby...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I am having the test done because we'd already decided and the midwife said to me y'day that we needed to discuss if we'd terminate if the baby was downs... I looked at her shocked because the thought didnt enter my mind. I appreciate some people would choose to terminate but I wouldnt. Id like to be prepared but Id still keep my baby.

Try not to let this get you down and keep us posted lovely xxx

I think that's a horrid assumption for a MW to jump to.

That's the exact reason I didn't want the tests done, because at the end of the day no matterwhat was wrong my baby is still my baby.

awh I am glad to hear all is well lovey!!! Get relaxing now!!! :D

Awwww that is great news and what a fantastic scan piccie :D

Take care :hug:

Hi

I'm pleased your a lot less worried now.

Lovely pics of your baby :hug: :hug:

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back