Dog stopped eating properly

Calli

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section for this kind of query...

We have a greyhound who's about 2 1/2 years old - we've had him for 11 months. I had baby Joseph 12 days ago and the dog has been brilliant so far with him. We thought things were going really well. But then we noticed that the dog is off his food - he normally wolfs his food down as soon as we lay it out. He now leaves it to sit there and takes hours to get through it. Today he hasn't touched it at all.

Had a quick Google and it says he could be depressed about the arrival of new baby. Anyone have any experience of this? We haven't altered his routine, and we still try to give him special time alone with both me and my partner. Just want to nip this in the bud before any real problem arises. Anyone have any ideas of what to do?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jz5bi1

hey hun sorry cant help with that BUT your signature on tapatalk gives away your home address hun xx thought you should know to change it

Ooh thanks for letting me know! I had no idea!

Greyhounds are very sensitive to interruptions in their normal eating behaviours and environment. Particularly rescue dogs will be very upset by change. Maybe a baby arrived in the house before his last family got rid of him :(

Is he still drinking like usual? Is he getting enough sleep?

Try feeding him at the far end of the house where it is the most quiet and isolated. Give him a baby free zone.

You need to treat him like you would a child. He shouldn't be exposed to the upheaval that a baby causes. He should not be shocked by the screaming and things like that and constantly in the babies presence.

I wouldn't be tempted to try treats because you could be feeding him them forever :shock:

If he's still not eating tomorrow then you need to take him to a vet. By the time animals start displaying obvious symptoms, they are typically very ill xx

Mostly when a dog is eating slower it normal means there happy and comfy in there home. my dog has days when he Donnt eat straight away too but his just happy & settled. If you Donnt want your dog picking at food then try put it down & if he Donnt eat it take it back & try again later he'll learn he has a time to eat in. Also make sure your still making time for him & keep an eye on his personalty. Good luck hope your dogs okay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back