Does anyone utilise their HV's?

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Since having Ollie i always worry about whether im doing things right (im sure you have all got that impression from my posts) People say that "you will always know what to do as its your mothering instincts" but if im honest i've had times that i've not had a bloody clue why he's crying!

I must say things are better with the wind and the gaviscon is helping with the sickness but i always seem to have a new problem and the recent one is the dummy constantly falling out and ollie not settling if hes not on me! I've had a serious lack of sleep due to this.

Well.. i mentioned it to my HV and she is coming out again to see me to talk it through. Does anyone else have their HV come out to help them? i sometimes feel i should just keep my mouth shut as people will think im struggling..

Claire x

I haven't needed to so far but I 100% think that if you like your HV and find them helpful then you should take all the help they can give! That's what they're there for! Unfortunately a lot of people find their HV unhelpful which is why they probably don't make use of them the way they should be able to.

People won't think you're struggling, but what's the harm in getting help from someone who is trained for that exact purpose? Mothering instincts do exist but they don't cover everything - there are some things that you do need to be told/taught about!

i did. thats what theyre there for! glad ur finding urs useful :hug: xx

I don't but only because my HV has a completely different parenting style then me so her advice wouldn't mean anyhting. If she was from a similar point of view I would use her miles more. As it is I tend to use support more from the La Leche League meetings I go to, my NCT group and my friends who also have the same parenting style. I hope your HV is able to help you out :hug:

I use mine to rant at. It works well, except I suspect she's sick of me :rotfl:

By the way, if you want dummy advice feel free to PM me we have become experts in how not to lose the dummy :rotfl: although the good news is that since turning 8 months (ish) she's not needed it at all unless sleeping, so that's a relief. I think reflux babies need dummies way more than your average baby.

I think I'd have used mine more if she were more helpful.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no point in even trying to discuss anything with her or any of the others I see cos they don't believe you because you're a first time mum. They don't seem to realise that people can have experience of children and babies outside their own!

Sorry, I ranted a bit there! Anyway, it's good you get some use out of yours. I agree too, the 'instinct' is nowhere to be seen when a baby is screaming for what seems like nothing. :hug:

I have a 'team' rather than just one HV and they are useless!

On the dummy front, when LO's used to fall out when she was little, I started co-sleeping and kind of holding it in - which sounds really bad but isn't! I just used to hover my hand above it so that as it popped out, it would hit my hand and she would suck it back in.

Last edited:
I use my Nursery Nurse at the surgery. I see her more than the HV so she knows everything about us. I am forever talking to her. I always go, whether it's about Angel or myself. I go there, they don't generally come out to us, but i do use her an awful lot. I don't always agree with her answers, but i respect what she says. She is there to help so i go. I am a very dim first time mum. I'm actually more useless than i thought i would be, but she has been brilliant.

I didnt but only because the HV I had with my first wasnt nice or helpful !
I would if I needed my new one! :D

Let me just say though hun, thats what they are there for! And you must remember that every single first time mum struggles to begin with! You cant be expected to know everything automatically! If you have a great helpful HV then make the most of her hun! :D

My HV is not very nice or popular :|

No because she is a bitch :lol: and gives rubbish advice.

I have found friends and family much more useful :D

i didnt know they offered a service as such!

I thought they came round at certains times after the birth and if you were really concerned about something you call them instead of the GP surgery .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back