Does anyone have cats ???

Kelly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...

Im 5 weeks PG 2moro with my 1st child, i have 2 indoor cats and am a little worried about toxoplasmosis. I was wondering if anyone else out there had cats and has any information. I have read so many books and internet articles. I know its best not to change the litter which is ok as my partner is doing that for me, but is it still safe to pick up/stroke and have them in the bedroom? Any information willbe greatly appreciated :D

Hi there
I have two kittens, they are only six months old and have never been outside. I am currently fifteen weeks PG and my husband sadly works away so I have to do the litter tray myself. I was really worried about this and even considered finding a new home for the kittens but I love them to death and it doesn't seem fair on them.
Anyway my fears were quashed when I had my first midwife appointment. She said that toxoplasmosis is actually extremely rare in this country. She told me to wear disposable gloves (which I was doing anyway) when changing their litter tray. I still cuddle the kittens all the time and have also had to clear up kitten sick on about four occasions. This has totally turned my stomach but apart from that I have had no problems! I use antibacterial handwash a lot too.
My kittens are a great source of comfort to me whilst hubby is away, and they seem to sense something going on as they like snuggling up to my belly now and seem to be listening to what's going on inside!
Good luck with everything, I hope this helps xx

Thanks for that.. it really does help when you you can actually speak to someone who is or has been going throught the same thing.. My partner stay away alot too which is why we had our two.. there great company on those lonely nights..

Thanks for the advise and good luck x

I also have two cats. My husband changes the litter box for me though. My cats a such a comfort for me and I would never even think about giving them up. They are both indoor cats and they also like to curl up by my tummy. They both sleep in bed with me, one at my feet and one on my pillow with me. They are my babies and my doctor said since I have been around cats all my life I am prolly immune to toxo. A little warning you can also get toxo from uncooked meats.

I have a cat who due to her old age and health has had to become an indoor cat. I am lucky in that most of the time my husband does the litter tray but I was also told that if I had to change it for any reason that so long as I wore disposable gloves and made sure I washed my hands etc. as soon as I was finished then the risk was extremely minimal.
Handling the cat is also fine as they are very clean animals.

I love my cat, even though she drives me round the bend as she's blind and walks into my feet all the time.

I have read that if you have had the cats for a while,you will be immune to toxoplasmosis,and only need to worry if you got the cats recently
:)

Hi there

we have 6 (outdoor) cats - don't panic; we live on a smallholding! I wondered about this issue when I was pregnant with baby number 4, born after we moved here and got the cats. I found out: abnormalities caused by toxoplasmosis aren't very common; infection is less likely in indoor/house cats. Keep the cats wormed. Wear gloves when changing the tray AND when gardening.

Don't worry! Just take sensible precautions.

Lynn

Hiya im 7wks preg and have 4 cats i have also studied 3yrs of animal care in cole and have had cats all my life, the only thing you have to do is wear gloves when you change the litter tray, de-worm them regularly and wash your hands after stroking them.

Hop this helped.
Cadoline xx

Also, I read that most women with cats will have had toxoplasmosis already, and just mistaken it for the flu. But the effects can be catastrophic for the foetus, so be extra careful, and use an antibacterial soap when washing your hands after handling the pets, and esp before eating or touching the mouth/nose area. Also keeping the cats off the work surfaces in the kitchen is a must.Other than that its about common sense and maintaining a high level of hygiene, which I suppose you would do already, if you have cats in the house.
Love and Light
ukwahine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back