DISGUSTING sentence

*Star*

Reaction score
M6 Crash Lorry Driver Jailed For Three Years
4:48pm UK, Monday February 16, 2009

Relatives of a family of six who died in a crash on the M6 have criticised the three-year sentence handed down to the Portuguese lorry driver who caused their deaths.

Paulo Jorge Nogueira da Silva killed the Statham family, of Llandudno, when his 40-ton Daf lorry ploughed into their car and pushed it under a Volvo lorry.

David and Michelle Statham died instantly along with their sons Reece, 13, Jay, nine, and Mason, 20 months, and 10-week-old baby daughter Ellouise.

They were returning home after visiting relatives in Birmingham when their people carrier was involved in the pile-up near Sandbach, Cheshire, on October 20 last year.

After sentencing, Mrs Statham's father criticised the court for convicting da Silva of careless driving rather than more serious dangerous driving charges.

"From the night of the accident when Mr da Silva butchered our family it was not possible for us to get justice in a British court," Peter Hagans said.

"In our opinion what we sat through this week was no more than a circus, the only difference being the man in charge of a circus wears a top hat not a wig."

Da Silva, 46, of Murcia, in Spain, was convicted at Chester Crown Court of six counts of causing death by careless driving.

Trial judge Mr Justice Irwin jailed him for three years on each count, to run concurrently, and told him he would serve 18 months in custody before being allowed out on licence.

He added: "This was one of the most serious offences of its kind."

Da Silva had failed to pay proper attention to the road for around a minute before hitting the Stathams' car, chief crown prosecutor Ian Rushton said.

Cheshire Police said he was using a laptop in the cab of his vehicle, possibly to plan his route.

The evidence showed that the Stathams' car was crushed between a large lorry, which had been queuing in a long tailback due to an earlier accident, and da Silva's lorry.

"Da Silva admitted in court that he had seen the electronic signs warning that the M6 was closed ahead and that queues were likely," Mr Rushton said.

"He said that he reduced his speed but could not explain how the collision happened."

Da Silva was also disqualified from driving for three years.

i know awful isnt it :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: the sad thing is they lived 10 mins away from us and OH had even been called to thier next door neighbour a few days befor ethey lost thier lives as he is a special bobby..our whole community has been shocked by this accident..and he has been given that kind of sentance is pathetic he should of been chrged with a murder charge for each family member :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Ive just been watching this on Sky News. I was in tears when they were showing all the pictures of them all, especially the kids. I cant get my head around him only getting 3 years for what he did.... What a slap in the face for their relatives :cry:

I really don't understand the difference between death through dangerous driving and manslaughter - to me the first is as bad as the second.

I really don't understand the difference between death through dangerous driving and manslaughter - to me the first is as bad as the second
Me neither!!!

Its not surprising to be honest. You hear all the time of people practically being let off. This country is a disgrace.

The thing that bothers me is that he pleaded not guilty despite it being obvious he was guilty, and he's only got a driving ban for 3 years. We don't know the whole story to say he should have got longer in prison and TBH i feel sorry for the guy having to live with himself knowing his actions caused that.

However i think a life long driving ban should be an automatic. I understand the family wanting more but the court are taking in to account the fact he never intended to hurt anyone and intentionality seems to mean a lot in our justice system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back